turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Anyone else load for the spot?

Started by Thundermtn, April 07, 2015, 10:01:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thundermtn

For years I've done this and was just curious if anyone else does. If I'm in a tight spot where shots will be close I'll slip out #2&3 shells and put in something that opens up quicker than my main load. If I miss with the first one at that point I'm blasting away so while he's running I have a little more spread and I'm not firing $10 worth of ammo at a fast moving target.

Does anyone else load different shells or layer them in the magazine for special conditions?

bbcoach

Nope!  3.5 Hevi 7's all the way.  Aim Small, Miss Small.  Most of my shots have been between 20-25 yards.  Shortest was 13 longest 38.

Rapscallion Vermilion

Quote from: Thundermtn on April 07, 2015, 10:01:37 AM
If I miss with the first one at that point I'm blasting away so while he's running ...
I would try really hard to resist the temptation to do this.  But choosing a more open choke, load, for a tight setup does make sense.

Thundermtn

I have a pinch point where the tree tops from a logging a few years ago are all dumped on either side of a road in a bottom, 25 yards is the farthest it's possible to shoot and they are coming down a road straight at me so mostly they can only run straight away or fly. If they're coming though they have no choice other than to walk the log road, but the spot is a killer. Dumped a bunch of birds off of it but to hide well enough to not get spotted the shots end up close. Like 15 yards close.

born2hunt

I rarely know exactly where I'm going to be but if I knew I was gonna be in a tight spot I wouldn't think twice about throwing an ole Rem. Nitro or such load in the chamber.
Genesis 1:26
   Then God said, "Let us make mankind in our image, in our likeness, so that they may rule over the fish in the sea and the birds in the sky, over the livestock and all the wild animals,[a] and over all the creatures that move along the ground."

mgm1955

dejake

I'll use a different choke if the setup calls for it.  When i was shooting lead, the first was #6, the following two were #5s.

wvlimbhanger

No, I use the same choke and ammo every set up

Dr Juice

Negative. Most of the time I make the firs shot count ... knock on wood.

101st501

My Indian Creek BDS likes #6.  I start out with a 3.5 #5 that patterns very well.  If I am shooting at a turkey the results are very close with the #5 and #6 so it does not matter.  The reason I start with the #5 is in case I call up a coyote or some other predator.  I have done this several times before as I am sure that others have also.

kyturkeyhunter4

:welcomeOG:
Quote from: Thundermtn on April 07, 2015, 10:24:22 AM
I have a pinch point where the tree tops from a logging a few years ago are all dumped on either side of a road in a bottom, 25 yards is the farthest it's possible to shoot and they are coming down a road straight at me so mostly they can only run straight away or fly. If they're coming though they have no choice other than to walk the log road, but the spot is a killer. Dumped a bunch of birds off of it but to hide well enough to not get spotted the shots end up close. Like 15 yards close.
I use the same load all the time.

Bowguy

Some guys in my opinion worry way too much about this stuff. It's all good to have the perfect load so don't get me wrong but I've never done as some n counted pellet holes in paper than sweated it if it was just a pinch different next shot.
I pattern my guns, get a great combo worked up n ususlly leave em unless I buy a new gun or they stop making the shell.
I don't obsess over what I think is small stuff. Call em close, shoot straight n personally I don't believe it's possible to miss 15 yards.
Yes I know guys do but it wasn't the load.
An exception would be youth hunters. Don't over choke em n let them only shoot close.

Thundermtn

I had a couple that I thought were dead jump up and run on me at 5 yards. With my HW load it's almost a rifle until they get to 15 yards. Rem. Nitro #6 will go nearly twice as big at that range.

I was just curious if most guys run all three the same all the time. Not saying one way's better than the other, just wondering.

RutnNStrutn

Nope. I use what I got. Plus, a lot of times, I go through several different set ups in a day. I just go with what I know works.

bbcoach

Quote from: Thundermtn on April 07, 2015, 06:11:35 PM
I had a couple that I thought were dead jump up and run on me at 5 yards. With my HW load it's almost a rifle until they get to 15 yards. Rem. Nitro #6 will go nearly twice as big at that range.

I was just curious if most guys run all three the same all the time. Not saying one way's better than the other, just wondering.
You should be able to take his head clean off at 5 yards with just about any load.  As I stated earlier Aim small, Miss small.  If possible, don't let him to get inside 20-25 yards or allow him to walk away from you to a comfortable yardage.  Patience is key.