turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

MISTAKES

Started by bammerslammer 50, April 06, 2015, 11:42:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bammerslammer 50

Well to start off let me say this is my third season of really hunting hard. I've been blessed this spring with a lot more days afield than usual. That being said these Alabama birds are putting a whooping on this ol boy. I've had more encounterI cou and more experiences with the public land jerk turkeys this year than all the other years combined. I've called up 4 birds so far only to come up short.

The fist one I was calling for my brother. I worked the bird for and hour or so and he was in range just out of sight behind some bushes. 4 deer literary ran in between us and the turkey. My brother thought it spooked him and sat his gun down, i could still hear the bird drumming. He steps out at 20 yds and quickly sees no hen so goes back to the other side of the thick and gobbles like crazy. I cutt at him and that rascal pitches up over the thick and lands in a limb in front of us. Again he sees no hen but he does see my brother moving his gun and with a sharp putt he was gone.

It's been a series of small mistakes like that for me all season. I'm learning alot and I'm having one hell of a spring. I sure would like to give one a ride home though. Just thought I would share. Good luck to everyone this spring.

Gooserbat

Those aren't mistakes as much as learning experiences.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

LaLongbeard

Mistakes are the only way to really learn to hunt Gobblers. I learned on hard hunted public land birds and when I look back over all the years and mistakes I have to laugh at some of the things I did. But eventually if you stay at it you will start to tip the odds in your favor. Sounds like your doing pretty well already, and the Gobblers will be your best instructor.
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

zelmo1

I look at it as gaining experience or learning experiences. All goooood when you are in the woods

tomstopper

Quote from: Gooserbat on April 07, 2015, 07:27:44 AM
So true. Learn from them and birds will start stacking up. Good luck on the rest of your season....

bbcoach

X3.  When you learn, you should gain wisdom and with wisdom comes SUCCESS! 

strum

we all make mistakes ..we just don't talk about them as much as our victories..
I got skunked last year mostly because of mistake after mistake. thought about them all year ..this season im up 2 birds :happy0064:
will I make more mistakes?  im sure of it did I learn from my past ones ?..you bet

VaTuRkStOmPeR

Successful turkey hunting is about making the least mistakes.

You need to be continually evaluating and reevaluating while you're dueling with a bird to identify and negate the potential pitfalls that could happen.

kjnengr

Bammerslammer 50, I know the feeling.  I had pretty much the same thing happen to me early on this year.  Like these guys said, I view every mistake as a learning experience.  Often some of the mistakes we make during hunting can be almost as memorable as the kill itself.  I am still waiting on my first for this year. 

tippatah

I'm in the same boat bud. Been at it for three years now. Not a lot of action the first two years but this year I have em gobbling almost every time I go out. Put the sneak on one a few weeks ago but he put the sneak back on me and I wasn't ready. Called in a group of three gobblers and was set up in the wrong direction. Called in a group of two and got a little over zealous. Had one gobbling close yesterday but he got henned up and the same exact thing happened this morning. I can definitely say that I have learned from every encounter so hopefully my dues are close to being paid and I can cash in. Good luck to you and hope you bag one before the season is over.

MDbowman

On the bright side, the mistake you described was not yours!! You did your part and called the bird into gun range!

mgm1955

Quote from: tomstopper on April 07, 2015, 10:08:43 AM
So true. Learn from them and birds will start stacking up. Good luck on the rest of your season....
:agreed:

bammerslammer 50

Quote from: MDbowman on April 07, 2015, 11:15:27 AM
On the bright side, the mistake you described was not yours!! You did your part and called the bird into gun range!
true. But I believed I called to much. That gobbler knew where to look before he ever got there. I believe that if I would've had him searching instead it would've been different.

I done the same thing this past weekend. I struck my first mid day gobbler up and looking back I should've spit my call out right then. Well I didn't. Instead I softly clucked and purred causing that bird (which was huge by the way,) to work from my right to left at about 60 yds before stopping in a clearing at 80yds and putting on a show for the hen that was suppose to be able to see him and come running like nature intended. he didn't have to search for me. I let him know exactly what tree I was under.

Looking back now it was obvious. At the time I had beard and spurs on my mind and went completely stupid. It was a blast though and I intend to screw them up every chance I get until I get it right I reckon.

Honolua

Agreed...you are calling tham in consistently though...throw a jake and a hen decoy out about twice as far as you can spit.

I bet you get one soon.

Try the 3 rake too...rake the leaves in sets of threes.

You are close buddy.

Dr Juice

I concur.