turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Need Help on which shells

Started by HunterMc23, April 06, 2015, 05:30:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HunterMc23

Turkey season's coming up in KY, and I'm having a hard time on which shells to shoot. I am shooting a Mossberg 20ga 500 with an Indian Creek choke tube. I'm deciding between the Magnum Blend or the Hevi #7's. Any info would be greatly appreciated

lowoctane

I'm Old School...
GOD, GUTS AND GUNS
MADE AMERICA GREAT,
LET'S KEEP ALL THREE!
NRA Endowment
NAHC Life

ThunderChickenGetter

Personally, between the two you've stated I would go with the hevi 7's. The my 835 just doesn't like the mag blends that well. I know you didn't say anything about them but I would try the winchester long beards. They're lead shot but from my gun they pattern awesome with 4s', 5's, and 6's and all have more than enough energy to kill at 40 yards. There's really no way to decide until you get out and try them all for yourself though.

allaboutshooting

Quote from: HunterMc23 on April 06, 2015, 05:30:51 PM
Turkey season's coming up in KY, and I'm having a hard time on which shells to shoot. I am shooting a Mossberg 20ga 535 with an Indian Creek choke tube. I'm deciding between the Magnum Blend or the Hevi #7's. Any info would be greatly appreciated

If you're shoot a 20 gauge, I'd go with the 3" Hevi-13 with 1.25 oz. of #7 shot. You're shooting a .555 turkey choke?

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

nyhunter

Pattern both, and shoot what your gun likes best.

X2

ThunderChickenGetter

I just noticed you're talking about a 20 gauge. I'd definitely go with a HTL load. Pattern both and see which one shoots the best in your gun!

HunterMc23

Quote from: nyhunter on April 06, 2015, 05:56:27 PM

X2
Quote from: vanilla_killa on April 06, 2015, 05:53:56 PM

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Quote from: allaboutshooting on April 06, 2015, 05:50:48 PM
Quote from: HunterMc23 on April 06, 2015, 05:30:51 PM
Turkey season's coming up in KY, and I'm having a hard time on which shells to shoot. I am shooting a Mossberg 20ga 535 with an Indian Creek choke tube. I'm deciding between the Magnum Blend or the Hevi #7's. Any info would be greatly appreciated

If you're shoot a 20 gauge, I'd go with the 3" Hevi-13 with 1.25 oz. of #7 shot. You're shooting a .555 turkey choke?

Thanks,
Clark
Quote from: ThunderChickenGetter on April 06, 2015, 05:36:23 PM
Personally, between the two you've stated I would go with the hevi 7's. The my 835 just doesn't like the mag blends that well. I know you didn't say anything about them but I would try the winchester long beards. They're lead shot but from my gun they pattern awesome with 4s', 5's, and 6's and all have more than enough energy to kill at 40 yards. There's really no way to decide until you get out and try them all for yourself though.
Quote from: lowoctane on April 06, 2015, 05:34:20 PM
:z-guntootsmiley:
Hevi 7's are hard to beat...
Thanks for all the info guys and my choke is a .555

Bowguy

Federals heavy 7s are incredible. My daughters old fixed modified barrel throws an awesome pattern w them. My other daughters turkey choked gun throws a decent pattern as well with them but that modified, unbelievable.
Try dif chokes

HunterMc23

Birdyblaster

Quote from: Bowguy on April 06, 2015, 06:52:00 PM
Federals heavy 7s are incredible. My daughters old fixed modified barrel throws an awesome pattern w them. My other daughters turkey choked gun throws a decent pattern as well with them but that modified, unbelievable.
Try dif chokes

This is the way I'd go for sure.  Fed HW 7's seem to do really well in 20 gauges and will hit them like a 12.

bbcoach

Quote from: Birdyblaster on April 10, 2015, 01:04:50 PM
Quote from: Bowguy on April 06, 2015, 06:52:00 PM
Try dif chokes

This is the way I'd go for sure.  Fed HW 7's seem to do really well in 20 gauges and will hit them like a 12.
Don't shoot the Federal HW 7's with the IC choke.  IC doesn't recommend shooting the flite control wads with a wad stripping choke.  The Hevi 7's are the way to go with the IC.