Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

What's your favorite box call make/model/wood?

Started by Honolua, April 06, 2015, 07:58:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hunter22

What some guys consider great calls I would not have and what I consider great calls others would not want. What I have learned through a lot of trial and error is that it may not be the best sounding call to your ears that the gobblers like.

midmslongbeard

Tosh up between butternut over walnut, all walnut, all persimmon, or mineral poplar by Albert Paul all sound different gobblers like them all a lot

mudhen

Persimmon or maple over wanut, by Mr. Paul...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Lighten' up Francis"  Sgt Hulka

Smooth_Operator

At the moment it's my Steve Mann black walnut over poplar...

"The woods are lovely, dark and deep,  
But I have promises to keep,  
And miles to go before I sleep,  
And miles to go before I sleep."

greencop01

:fud: :OGani:   A Marlin Watkins fiddle paddle, butternut/bloodwood.    :OGturkeyhead:
We wait all year,why not enjoy the longbeard coming in hunting for a hen, let 'em' in close !!!

daveco

My absolute favorite is a boat paddle call made by Lamar Williams, but I also carry an Albert Paul call, and a Turpin box call, as well.

sixbird

Mike of Spring Creek Calls is a master! He made me a sassafras over butternut longbox...That call is one of the sweetest sounding calls I've ever heard...AND Mike is a pleasure to deal with...Good man/great product!

perrytrails

Spring creek Purple Heart over red cedar and walnut over maple. Both short boxes.

hoyt

I have quiet a few custom box calls, but really not much of a box call user. Only one I've called turkeys in with in my old Lynch Fool Proof.

vman

My favorite was a 25 year old Lynch fool proof 101, until I sat on it last spring while setting up and cracked it. Was perfect with a sweet clear high pitch that dropped int a  nice rasp. Still can't find a box that sounds as good. Any suggestions?

Spitten and drummen

good ole lynch fool proof. is my go to when all else fails. doesn't work everytime , but enough for me to rank it as the best box call I own and I own a whole lot.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

Cut N Run

My favorite long boxes are cedar over butternut (Russell Beard & Quaker Boy Boat Paddle)
Favorite short box is Billy White's Hustlin' Hen.  It rocks.

Jim
Luck counts, good or bad.

hoyt

Quote from: vman on April 10, 2015, 06:27:55 AM
My favorite was a 25 year old Lynch fool proof 101, until I sat on it last spring while setting up and cracked it. Was perfect with a sweet clear high pitch that dropped int a  nice rasp. Still can't find a box that sounds as good. Any suggestions?

vman...had mine a while too. 50 yrs. I probably should replace the rubber band.

roboto65

Mike from Spring Creek love my Purple Heart over Red Cedar sounds great and easy to use and it looks great.

perrytrails

I'll add to the lynch 101. I've had mine for years. I baby it, my dad bought it for me. Lost my dad in 2000.

I know he'd rather I use it but just me I guess. Shelve queen