OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Putting a bird in freezer

Started by drake799, April 05, 2015, 08:07:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

drake799

Was wanting some opinions on freezing a bird whole.  I do a lot of lil short hunts before work and was wondering if I killed a bird and just took it home and froze it in freezer   Would there be any concern about the meat if I took it out later and thawed it then cleaned it? Just wanted to hear some opinions.  Thanks

eorlando

No issues at all. Depending on how long you were going to wait to clean it you could just put it in the fridge and clean it after work or the next day.

jepcho

I would definitely field dress it. And the you're better to refrigerate it than freeze it. If you're just going to breast them out, you can do that just as fast as field dressing.

Rapscallion Vermilion

Quote from: jepcho on April 05, 2015, 08:23:04 AM
And the you're better to refrigerate it than freeze it.
Yeah, multiple freezings and thawings will ruin the texture of the meat.  Turkeys, like pheasants, age well for a few to several days, as long as you can get them cool fast.  Just put them in the refrigerator.

Gooserbat

Quote from: jepcho on April 05, 2015, 08:23:04 AM
I would definitely field dress it. And the you're better to refrigerate it than freeze it. If you're just going to breast them out, you can do that just as fast as field dressing.

This, I can breast one out or gut it in less than 5 minutes.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.