OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Youngest age to start turkey hunting?

Started by BlakeJ, April 04, 2015, 01:35:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BlakeJ

What's the youngest kid you've heard of going turkey hunting?

owlhoot

zelmo1

10 is the minimum here. Every kid is different. My son was ready at 10, my oldest daughter was not. The youngest daughter will be too, I think. She is already going this year at 8. I hope she is, I need a huntin buddy that isn't married, lol

captin_hook

I started my daughter last year shooting a .22 at 5 yrs old. This year Im going to give her the .410 to get accustomed to. If all goes well with that, I believe she'll be ready to go next year at 7yrs old. Every kid is different, it's all about if they're ready or not, and if us as parents believe they're ready and have them trained properly and safely. Every child is different.

mgm1955

My son shot his first turkey when he was 8.

Gobblerstopper

My boy was 5 and 4 months when he got and stated shooting his mossberg 20 ga. He was 5 and 10 months when I got him his muzzleloader and he took his first deer. He loves shooting both and my .22 and is a good shot. We make fist sized balloons and tape them to my bow target and he bust them all day from 30 yards with his crossbow.

He can not wait for turkey season in a couple weekends.

jakesdad

My oldest killed his first deer at 6 and started turkey hunting at the same age.He is 8 now and has killed 2 deer and 2 fall birds.My youngest will be 6 in November but not sure he will be ready.Time will tell.

Ive seen 6 year olds(like mine)that were ready and some that were not.Heck ive seen 6 year olds more ready than some 30+ year olds  ;D

"There are turkey hunters and people who hunt turkeys.I hope I am remembered as a turkey hunter"

Bigspurs68

My girls both started young. My oldest killed her first bird the day after she turned 6 and my youngest killed her first when she was 5. They are 9 and 12 now with 25 birds between them. 
Momma said "Kill that turkey"

Gawhitaker

Started taking mine at 4, no firearm until 6, he got his first gobbler at 2 pm in the afternoon at 6 years old

longbeards

Have 3 sons and 1 daughter,,,all boys killed their first deer between 8 and 10. First gobblers fell to them between 10 and 12!! But we hunt our own land so that helps with the safety aspect!!
longbeards

dirtnap

My son killed his first one when he was 7.  I started taking him as an observer probably when he was 5.  I think a lot of people jump the gun on this.  I was guilty of it myself to some degree.  My daughter is 8 now and she is just starting to express some interest.

Snoodsniper

I think there's a time when a child begins to understand the concept of taking a life and 5 years old ain't it. Here in PA with the mentor program kids can hunt at any age. My oldest has gone with me a lot and last year at age7 I allowed him to hunt. We had some close encounters but no bird to show for it. I was impressed by his attitude and we will try again this year. My youngest is now 6 and he has hunted with me but I'm not sure he's ready to pull the trigger. He will be mad but probably won't be allowed to shoot anything this year even though some of his buddies already have. To each their own but I'm not gonna allow it just to have a conversation piece. I'm already proud of my boys and want to teach them right.

kyturkeyhunter4

My son killed his first deer at age 7, I started taking him with me around 5.  I would let him set in ground blind with me and he watch me kill a couple of deer. I'm bless now to have a good hunting buddy,He goes with me all the time now turkey and deer he loves it.

BBD

My son tagged out in 2 days in AR at the age of 6. My daughter got her first a couple years later at the age of 6. Both my kids were shooting .22's when they were big enough to hold them and I have had the pleasure to spend a lot of time with them hunting and shooting.  My son is 10 now and has killed 16 turkeys in 3 different states. He tagged out in AR again this season. Hate to brag but I will admit that he is the exception to the rule. He hunts and handles a firearm as well as most grown men I know. I am truly blessed to have a such fine young hunting partners. 

Onpoint

Quote from: BlakeJ on April 04, 2015, 01:35:14 PM
They will
Quote from: BlakeJ on April 04, 2015, 01:35:14 PM

His daddy spends ALOT of time working with him.

I started shooting when I was 3. I also started going along with pops some when I was 3.

I was in all lock on stand by the time I was 5, started turkey hunting at age 7 and was bow hunting at 9. Killed a doe with my bow when I was 9 and then killed a 140 class 8 point (rifle) a month later. Over 20 years ago and I still remember it just like it was yesterday.

one thing for sure is that different kids are ready at different ages. Most kids I've seen are ready around 9 or 10. I have seen some 5 year olds that were ready. no matter how old the kid is, where their heads at, or how good they can shoot, I don't think they should be pulling the trigger until they've tagged along 2 or 3 seasons.