News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Only a box call...

Started by STP22, April 04, 2015, 12:43:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

STP22

Hello, all. I hope all is well.

Well, New York's season is soon approaching and I still stink at mouth calling and I highly doubt it will turn around before May 1st. I have slate call on order...so, right now I have just a box call which I seemed to pick up rather quickly. Not perfect...but, I think would be good enough to hunt.

Am I limited with just a box call? My concern is trying to coax one into shooting distance without him catching my calling movement as I don't have a blind or a decoy to pull his attraction away from me. Saving up for an Avian-X jake and hen.

Just wondered how you do it with just a box call.

Thank you.

Steve

Bowguy

Depends on the box and your ability w it. Boxes can be hard for some guys to purr, tree yelp, tough for some to cluck/yelp and very tough to kee kee. A good box can make all these sounds as long as it was tuned properly.
I think youll find it initially easier to get most variety as a newbie to calls on a pot. Boxes do make great fly up/ fly downs but you need to practice. On some you can even gobble. You tube the sounds it'll be easier than trying to explain. Watch David Halloran n you'll see what's possible.

Remember something a call is not a magic wand. You need to be near the birds and the way they wanna go. That's more important than type call.
Many many birds have been killed by yelps alone, even more on a box call and some guys use only a box. Sometimes it's all the birds seem to want.

paboxcall

If I could only own one turkey call for the rest of my life, it would be a box call.

Everything else I carry and run is pretty much just for the fun of it.  Each call type has its inherent advantages and disadvantages, but in the end it has been my experience that gobblers seem to strike a box more than anything else I try.
A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods. Yoder409
Over time...they come to learn how little air a good yelper actually requires. ChesterCopperpot

TauntoHawk

You don't have to crank on the paddle to run a box, there's a lot you can do with minimal movement (no more than a pot call). Run the call down in your lap and practice soft clucks and yelps on the box.

In most scenarios once you can see him it's time to stop calling anyway.
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

MDSTRUTNRUT

Some guys set up a small blind to hide them but also to shield some movement.    Just some camo netting set up up chest high or so can hide some minor hand movement also depending on what you're sitting on.   But if they're that close maybe you've called enuff and just shut up and wait till he comes into range looking for a girlfriend.   That being said I just ordered a TRINITY push button call for my son and daughter to try, their calling confidence is low on a mouthcall or slate and not great on a box.   I saw Bill's calls on YOUTUBE and he sold me on them, look up SQUAWKING MOMMA, I ordered directly from him and his email responses were quick and personal but he does have them on ebay.   I started on a pushbutton and kilt plenty, THEY ARE JUST EASY TO USE, REASONABLY PRICED, SOUND GOOD AND THEY WORK!      Just another idea for you    GOODLUCK!

Cutt

Quote from: STP22 on April 04, 2015, 12:43:30 AM
My concern is trying to coax one into shooting distance without him catching my calling movement as I don't have a blind or a decoy to pull his attraction away from me. Saving up for an Avian-X jake and hen.

Thank you.

Steve

That's the challenge of turkey hunting that makes it so rewarding. Knowing when to move or call and when not to. Most of the time when you setup correctly, he'll be in gun range when you first see him, where there's no need to call anyways. A mouthcall does come in handy if he's out some and you feel he can see your postion, but a gun mounted push-pull pin, might work in your situation? My opinion, save your money for calls, rather than expensive decoys. Good Luck

Marc

I have called a few in with a box call...  If I could only have one call, it would be a difficult choice between a diaphragm and a box...  To my ear, the box is one of the more realistic calls, and it is also the loudest.  With a quality box call, all the sounds can be made, and it is probably the easiest call to learn.

If I can see the bird, or I think he can see me, I generally do not call (no matter which call I am using)...  If the bird is coming, let him come, no need to call; sometimes it takes a while.

I use some camouflage netting over my call to minimize seen movement.  Just cause I cannot see a bird, does not mean he cannot see me...  I just got busted this morning.  Worked him for 4 hours, and moved at the wrong time...  It literally pains me.
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

West Augusta

Remember one thing, our grand fathers pretty much only used box calls.  They shot 2 3/4" shells, had no camo, blinds or dekes and they more than likely killed more birds than we ever will.  You will do fine.   Practice on the call.
No trees were hurt in the sending of this message, however a large number of electrons were highly inconvenienced.

STP22

Thank you, all, for some very good advice!

The camo netting is on the list. Who makes a good push-pin?

Also,...

What is a good book, YouTube video, DVD to learn how to call a bird in. I can make some decent sounds on the box call...but, I have little idea how to call, when to call, when not to call, etc.

You experienced guys use a vocabulary I have limited knowledge of...kee kee, tree yelp, etc....let alone knowing when to use them.

Thanks, again.

Steve

West Augusta

A good yelp, cluck and purr are all you need.  Kee Kee works best in the fall and I wouldn't gobble much.
No trees were hurt in the sending of this message, however a large number of electrons were highly inconvenienced.

MDSTRUTNRUT

I bought my push button from TRINITY, he has a youtube vid SQUAWKIN MOMMA but its not set up for mounting to shotgun barrel.    Bill also has them on ebay but any store that has a few dekes and shotgun shells will prob have a push button call, try one before you buy.   Read and watch successful hunts  on this site BEST OUT THERE!    Live experience is the only way to really learn what works and what doesnt.   My best advise is calling LESS IS BETTER THAN MORE, if they answer you he knows you're there and just keep STILL and QUIET.   If he gobbles by himself and moving closer DEFINITELY NO MORE CALLING  and KEEP STILL AND WAIT  WAIT  WAIT!   
OOPS ALMOST LATE FOR CHURCH    GOOD LUCK &  HAPPY EASTER !

gobbler336

There is no set sequence to call a bird in, yelp at him if he likes it you'll know, and if your are lucky enough to find one horny enough to come to your racket, shut up and get ready.

ridgerunner

It takes very little calling to kill a bird..focus more on woodsmanship, scouting birds on land you intend to hunt, patterning your shotgun at different ranges....after all this is done..all you need to know how to do on a call is some light yelping, clucks and feeding purrs which are very easy to learn on a box call, or slate call...hunters put way too much emphasis on calling when any one who has been chasing turkeys very long will tell you, to call very little, or just enough to coax the bird in..no more, learn the topography, terrain and practice woodsmanship which comes from spending many hours in the woods around birds..watch and observe turkeys, let the birds teach you.

STP22

Thank you, all, very much!
Steve