OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

1st time Rio's

Started by Triple Gobble, April 03, 2015, 11:26:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Triple Gobble

I just got back from Alabama, and got
One, now I'm about to head to Texas to
Hunt Rio's.  I have never hunted a Rio before,
I've only hunted Easterns, is there much
Difference in hunting the two species?
Can you get more aggressive with calling
Or do I need to treat them as I do Easterns?
Any advice on anything pertaining to the
Difference between the 2 would be appreciated!!!!
Live your life through Jesus, and life begins!!!!

BlakeJ

You'll like going from Alabama easterns to Texas rios. It's kinda like playing basketball against Michael Jordan, then playing against a four year old...

Yeah you can get more aggressive. Texas rios seem to like lots of aggressive cuts, clucks, and purrs while they're on the rope.

jblackburn

Quote from: BlakeJ on April 04, 2015, 06:19:08 AM
You'll like going from Alabama easterns to Texas rios. It's kinda like playing basketball against Michael Jordan, then playing against a four year old...

Yeah you can get more aggressive. Texas rios seem to like lots of aggressive cuts, clucks, and purrs while they're on the rope.

In general, I agree, although I have gotten my butt kicked by an old rio a few times.

Couple big differences:

1) the number of birds! one reason they are "easier" is because it is really easy to leave a stubborn bird and find a suicidal one.

2) flock mentality- Rios love company.  They seek other turkeys all times of the year.  It is not uncommon to see mature gobblers in winter flocks.  They decoy much better than eastern, in general.

3) the gobble -  they sound different, higher pitched, cleaner gobble.  They are not as far away as they sound.  Remember that.  They also like to gobble, it seems.  They will gobble at any time, day or night, they will gobble coming into your set up and they will gobble at you as they walk directly away.

4) not the bird, but the terrain - Rios are more adaptable (IMO) than easterns, coming from AL, you will not think there will be a bird within 100 miles of you, but they are probably there -  if there is water.  Find a good stream with good roost trees and you will find birds.

5) Range - Many times Rios hit the ground and B-line miles to a food source, strutting area, or just where ever they feel like going. Figure that out and get between them and the destination

6) Roosts -  If they are not messed with at the roost site, they will most likely come back every day to the same trees

7) Get close - Even pressured, public land rios can't seem to resist an easy, close hen.  I have found that if I can get within 100 yards of a semi-hot tom, I have a really good chance.  BUT, remember number 4.

8) calling - most of the time you can get away with more and louder calling, they can get fired up quickly and run in.  They will also gobble the entire time they are walking away from you.

I'm sure there are more differences, but these are the big ones.
Gooserbat Games Calls Staff Member

www.gooserbatcalls.com

Genesis 27:3 - Now then, get your weapons—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

Triple Gobble

Thanks, I've heard that generally they are
Less stubborn than Easterns, but I'm not
Expecting it to be a cake walk either.  I'm
Going to land I've never seen, that is a buddy
Of mines. I hope I can figure one out while
I'm there, but it's hunting, and you just never
Know.  That's why I love it!!!!
Live your life through Jesus, and life begins!!!!

stinkpickle

The biggest difference I've noticed from hunting them in both Texas and Kansas is that they gobble in the afternoon a LOT more.  However, that gobble doesn't necessarily mean they're interested.  They gobble just to gobble, sometimes.  It's just different.  Sometimes, it feels easy.  Sometimes, they really piss me off.  One thing's for sure...they're MUCH less predictable.

Gooserbat

A Rio will gobble just to hear his own head rattle.  You can roost them at midnight with a good moon.  Once the commit to the call they usually die if you do your part.  They can travel but they usually roost very close to the same place every night.  In general they are good for a turkey hunters self esteem.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

mgm1955

Quote from: jblackburn on April 04, 2015, 09:46:19 PM
Quote from: BlakeJ on April 04, 2015, 06:19:08 AM

In general, I agree, although I have gotten my butt kicked by an old rio a few times.

Couple big differences:

1) the number of birds! one reason they are "easier" is because it is really easy to leave a stubborn bird and find a suicidal one.

2) flock mentality- Rios love company.  They seek other turkeys all times of the year.  It is not uncommon to see mature gobblers in winter flocks.  They decoy much better than eastern, in general.

3) the gobble -  they sound different, higher pitched, cleaner gobble.  They are not as far away as they sound.  Remember that.  They also like to gobble, it seems.  They will gobble at any time, day or night, they will gobble coming into your set up and they will gobble at you as they walk directly away.

4) not the bird, but the terrain - Rios are more adaptable (IMO) than easterns, coming from AL, you will not think there will be a bird within 100 miles of you, but they are probably there -  if there is water.  Find a good stream with good roost trees and you will find birds.

5) Range - Many times Rios hit the ground and B-line miles to a food source, strutting area, or just where ever they feel like going. Figure that out and get between them and the destination

6) Roosts -  If they are not messed with at the roost site, they will most likely come back every day to the same trees

7) Get close - Even pressured, public land rios can't seem to resist an easy, close hen.  I have found that if I can get within 100 yards of a semi-hot tom, I have a really good chance.  BUT, remember number 4.

8) calling - most of the time you can get away with more and louder calling, they can get fired up quickly and run in.  They will also gobble the entire time they are walking away from you.

I'm sure there are more differences, but these are the big ones.
Right on the button. Great advice!!