turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Define over calling

Started by KYHeadhunter02, April 03, 2015, 05:22:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KYHeadhunter02

I'm sure answers will vary some especially when every situation is different. I know it's the biggest mistake a lot of hunters make. How much is to much? My problem is I get frustrated when a bird will not move and I can't move based on terrain. Not only gobbling, but double gobbling at just leaf scratching.  The more frustration that builds the more I call.

silvestris

The definition of overcalling is "more than he wants to hear".
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

mudhen

When asked why he calls so much, Ray Eye said "I got tired of not killing birds"....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Lighten' up Francis"  Sgt Hulka

MEbeardlover

Over calling on Thursday can become just right on Friday and not enough on Saturday. It's about trying to figure out what they want and giving it to them. And that means lessons learned the hard way by spending time in the turkey woods.

WildTigerTrout

Quote from: MEbeardlover on April 03, 2015, 08:37:50 PM
Over calling on Thursday can become just right on Friday and not enough on Saturday. It's about trying to figure out what they want and giving it to them. And that means lessons learned the hard way by spending time in the turkey woods.
+1  :z-winnersmiley:
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!

TauntoHawk

Calling so much a bird that's coming stops to gobble and strut so much he thinks... This is a great place to stop she'll come to me now
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

hoyt

I think the answer to that question can only come from a turkey.

Marc

If you have a hot bird that does not get get stolen by a hen, that hangs up, chances are you called too much...

Right or wrong, if there are other hens answering (either with, or going to the tom) I tend to call a lot more, and a lot more aggressively.  Only time it seems that I get a tom when there is another hen around is when I can call in the hen...

There are those times when I called in a bird that I think others might not have...  But it is those times when I did not call in a bird that others could have, that keep me trying to improve my game.

Then again, those birds that do come in hot to aggressive calling, are the ones you remember...  You are cuttin', and yelping, and that bird comes in gobbling and struttin'....  That admittedly is a lot more fun than the bird that tentatively gobbles twice, and comes in quietly an hour later...

I call too much, and I move too quickly...  Cause I like that hot bird.
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

Ihuntoldschool

I don't like to call out of frustration.  Only call when you need to communicate something to that gobbler.

zelmo1

:funnyturkey: I agree with Silvestris and MEbeardlover.

Gooserbat

I like to call once to every three gobbles, or no note than 5 minutes apart.  Seems to work for me.  I also keep it simple with clucks, yelps and a few purrs mostly.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

owlhoot

Quote from: Gooserbat on April 05, 2015, 03:55:00 PM
I like to call once to every three gobbles, or no note than 5 minutes apart.  Seems to work for me.  I also keep it simple with clucks, yelps and a few purrs mostly.
Very surprised from a call maker  :lol:

outdoors

Quote from: WildTigerTrout on April 03, 2015, 08:47:37 PM
Quote from: MEbeardlover on April 03, 2015, 08:37:50 PM
+1  :z-winnersmiley:

Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field

ridgerunner

There ya go..I'm the same way..listen to hens in the woods 99.99% of the time hens call very little, when on the ground, and when they do it's soft yelps,feeding purrs and soft clucks..Hens just don't call a whole bunch most of the time..when I hunt I call like a hen..soft purrs, clucks and soft yelps about every 20-30 minutes, this series will last less than 15 seconds...once I have a bird working my call I let him tell me what's next...but rest assured I'm playing " hard to get".

Gooserbat

Quote from: owlhoot on April 05, 2015, 04:18:07 PM
Very surprised from a call maker  :lol:

Not to sound smart but I was and still am a turkey hunter before a call maker.  When calling turkeys less is usually more, however  you still have to call enough.  That's something that only experience will teach you.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.