OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Fan Mounting tips ?

Started by Basin_hunter, March 24, 2011, 09:41:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Basin_hunter

What is the best method to preserve a gobbler fan ? I brought my 1st fan to my taxidermist but I want to try my second myself. How long does it typically take to dry. I watched a you tube video last night and now have a general idea, but any tips are welcome.

Thanks,

Cody
In fall we rut, in spring we strut

Gobble!

Cut off as much meat as possible then use 2 nails to spread it out. Add a dash of salt and wait a month or so

kj

I've followed the directions on the NWTF website:

http://www.nwtf.org/tips_adventures/tips.php?id=289

It's a pain but the results have been good.

Solid Snake

I would use Borax rather than salt.

bowhunter84

Quote from: Gobble! on March 24, 2011, 10:26:02 PM
Cut off as much meat as possible then use 2 nails to spread it out. Add a dash of salt and wait a month or so

thats how i have done mine in the past

870FaceLift

Pass it on...

magicman

Quote from: Gobble! on March 24, 2011, 10:26:02 PM

:agreed: I have used both salt and borax, and both work well.

stinkpickle

Borax will help keep bugs out of it, too.  I just swap out the "borax mound" every week for the first couple of weeks, and then let it sit for a few months.  Heck, I have a few that have been pinned down and drying for nearly two years now.   :)

Reloader

Really easy to do.  I like cardboard the best and usually use 1-1/2" 18ga nails.  Remove all the meat you can, put one nail in the center of the base, pin both bottom feathers so they are flat across for the half moon shape, then place each feather where you want them.  Some fans will pin out with ease, some take a bunch of nails, just be sure you have it exactly the way you want it before you leave it to dry.  When I'm done pinning it out, I pour a pile of powder laundry detergent on the base.  Wait 3-4weeks, blow off the detergent and spray paint the base on both sides.  Epoxy works as well.  If you don't paint them, bugs can still get on them even after years(even in your house).

I pin the feet out as well so that each toe is symetric with the other foot.  After dry I paint the part of the leg that was originally colored, not the pad or claws.  Then clear coat the legs.

I've probably done about 15 this year, but not all were fans.  You can leave the feet and fans in the freezer for a couple years before pinning them out if needed.  I had a guy bring his son's fan/feet/beard to me a while back, he had put the fan in the freezer, but left the feet out. I had to soak those feet in water for a while to be able to move the toes and they were still stiff, but I managed to get them just right and let them dry again.

Here's a couple I've done:

Some feet ready to go:

bowhunter84

Basin_hunter

Quote from: Reloader on March 25, 2011, 11:07:04 AM
Really easy to do.  I like cardboard the best and usually use 1-1/2" 18ga nails.  Remove all the meat you can, put one nail in the center of the base, pin both bottom feathers so they are flat across for the half moon shape, then place each feather where you want them.  Some fans will pin out with ease, some take a bunch of nails, just be sure you have it exactly the way you want it before you leave it to dry.  When I'm done pinning it out, I pour a pile of powder laundry detergent on the base.  Wait 3-4weeks, blow off the detergent and spray paint the base on both sides.  Epoxy works as well.  If you don't paint them, bugs can still get on them even after years(even in your house).

I pin the feet out as well so that each toe is symetric with the other foot.  After dry I paint the part of the leg that was originally colored, not the pad or claws.  Then clear coat the legs.

I've probably done about 15 this year, but not all were fans.  You can leave the feet and fans in the freezer for a couple years before pinning them out if needed.  I had a guy bring his son's fan/feet/beard to me a while back, he had put the fan in the freezer, but left the feet out. I had to soak those feet in water for a while to be able to move the toes and they were still stiff, but I managed to get them just right and let them dry again.

Here's a couple I've done:

Some feet ready to go:

Very Nice ! Thanks for the tips guys.  :icon_thumright:
In fall we rut, in spring we strut

Solid Snake

Here's a video how to hang it up. Anybody use this method?

http://www.customfeathers.com/dryingTailFan.htm

Beretta686

Very nice.

I bought a  fan span I think it is called at the NWTF convention a couple of years ago. They are slastic things that hold the fan spread out and you can hang it up to dry. They were 3 for $10 I think. They work great.
Official "Hippie" had my hip replaced August 2005

kj

NWTF instructions are essentially the same as most other responses (ie use Borax for one month) but include a few other steps including soaking the attached meat in white gas for a short period of timeat the beginning of the process.  Don't know if it is necessary but it does work.

And here is the finished product:

[attachment deleted by admin]

kj

Just kidding.  That one got a little wet / damaged in the field and was not mountable.

Here is the real product

[attachment deleted by admin]