turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

See you guys on Sunday!!

Started by mfd1027, March 24, 2011, 09:16:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mfd1027

We're heading out in the morning for Ga.    We're planning on being there about a month.   We have to be back in Mia. on the 21st for our daughter's graduation from  Nurse Practitioner's school.   Can't miss that.    Until Sunday we won't have an internet connection.   We have an aircard with Verizon that's on vacation rt. now and we can't turn it back on until Sunday.    If I get lucky on Sat.  I'll try to figure out a way to let somebody know.   Good Luck!! to everybody hunting this wk. end.   It's time to put some points on the board!!!!   :wav:
Dan

ElkTurkMan

Dan, y'all be safe on the way up.  We have some weather coming in this weekend, but I still feel pretty pumped.  It will be great to get out amongst them again.   Good Luck man. :you_rock: :you_rock:

harvester

good luck to the both of you, can't wait to hear the stories and see the pics. Be safe and have fun.  :z-guntootsmiley:

nctrkyhntr

gob09

good luck to both of you no pressure now just have fun and be safe :goofball:

CANLIMBHANGAR

good luck dan and thanks for the mouth calls there much appreciated!!!      brad
GO NORTH OR GO HOME!!!

unclerick

Dan be safe and have a good hunt, hope you get all your shooting at. SMOKE A FATTY....
Before all else fails,talk to Jesus

nctrkyhntr

Ok Dan I am sure I speak for us all. We want to hear how it has gone so far. So hurry up and let us know lol

mfd1027

OK.  Finally back on line.    Here's the rept.

Sat. started out good with me hearing a bird in a spot I knew pretty well so I got in there and set up about 100 yds. from him.   this is a section of wide open pines so I was afraid to get too aggressive.   On my first series of tree yelps he cut me off.  Damn, this is gonna be too easy!!!   NOT!!  lol    I waited a few min. and yelped a few more times and that son of a gun was now on the groung 200 yds away!  I chased him for about 2 hrs.   I'd call he'd gobble and so on.   Pretty sure sign  he had a few hens with him they were leading him away.   I never could get in front of him.   My toe was kind of holding me back.    I wish my dang nail would just fall off.   Anyways,  Sat. started out good but then the weather set in and it's been downhill since.   It has rained non stop since Sat. afternoon.   Didn't go yesterday but it looks like we might have a break this morning so I'm up and at em.   Man the rds. are going to be sloppy.    I know Shane has been dealing with this crap too.   We will be here for at least 3 wks. so it'll clear up at some point.    I'll report in when I get home around noon.    Hopefully with a dead turkey story. 
Dan

harvester

Keep at it and good luck. Season opens this saturday in Tn. :z-guntootsmiley:

ElkTurkMan

My opening morning was similar to Dans.  I heard four birds, and thought I was in business with one of them, but I had some hens get between us.  The bird eventually went with his hens off of our property.   I hunted until 5PM, then thunderstorms rolled in.  Yesterday morning was a monsoon as well.  It quite raining after lunch, and I hunted from 1pm until 5pm.  Didn't hear a peep.  I did have two curious hens come to my calling an mosy around a bit, but that was the highlight of my day.  This week is going to be raining off and on all week.  I will go after work a couple of days.   My late father had one of those Pop up Primo's blinds.  Last night I dug it out, and I have half a mind to use it if it's raining.  We'll see.

harvester

Quote from: Hawken on March 28, 2011, 08:10:01 AM
My opening morning was similar to Dans.  I heard four birds, and thought I was in business with one of them, but I had some hens get between us.  The bird eventually went with his hens off of our property.   I hunted until 5PM, then thunderstorms rolled in.  Yesterday morning was a monsoon as well.  It quite raining after lunch, and I hunted from 1pm until 5pm.  Didn't hear a peep.  I did have two curious hens come to my calling an mosy around a bit, but that was the highlight of my day.  This week is going to be raining off and on all week.  I will go after work a couple of days.   My late father had one of those Pop up Primo's blinds.  Last night I dug it out, and I have half a mind to use it if it's raining.  We'll see.

Good luck.

mfd1027

Dad burn turkeys!!! lol   It was drizzling a little when we got  to the property and we had to park in a  church parking lot off the property because of the condition of the rds. but all was well when I had one respond to my first owl hoot!   :hello99:   I was in a perfect situation.  It was plenty dark and quiet with the wet conditions so I snuck in close.   I wasn't more than 75 yds. from this gobbler and even better was that he gobbled again at some crows so I know I didn't spook him.   Anyways,  I tree yelped to him and silence, I waited 3-4 min. and did it again- silence.   I figured he knew where  I was so I just waited.  After about 10-15 min.  I yelped again- silence.   I never heard, saw, smelled-lol, etc etc this bird.   I tried getting aggressive after being subtle for 45 min.   too.   I don't know where he went but he didn't want to go for a ride with me.   Finally at 9:30 I snuck out of there and went on a loooooong walk about but didn't have any luck.    Conditions are not the best but sooner or later they will be and maybe I'll be able to talk one of these guys into riding home with me.   
Dan

ElkTurkMan

Dan Tomorrow is supposed to be the best day until Saturday.  I'm doubleing up at work today, so I can get off early and hunt tomorrow afternoon.  If we can get through this week things will improve drastically this weekend. 

mfd1027

I'm excited about tomorrow morning.  It's actually supposed to be clear.   :z-guntootsmiley:    I've been thinking about that bird this morning all day and I think he might have still been roosted when I left at 9:30.   At least that's my excuse for now. lol  Maybe tomorrow - maybe tomorrow.    I'm already looking forward to next wk. lol    Good luck tomorrow Shane. 
Dan