OldGobbler

OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

10 days, 3200 miles, 1 public land Osceola (long and pic heavy)

Started by alloutdoors, April 01, 2015, 05:51:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JLH

excellent read..and the photos are great as well...

congrats on a well earned bird!

tomstopper

Quote from: JLH on April 01, 2015, 08:50:42 PM
excellent read..and the photos are great as well...

congrats on a well earned bird!
Couldn't have said it any better. Congrats......

Phire Phite

Really cool.  Congrats on not giving up.  And someone likes photography...love the depth in the last one.

woody328

Awesome post. I think people wanting to take an Osceola are really doing themselves a disservice not taking advantage of the WMAs in FL. I put in every year and have since I turned sixteen when I no longer qualified for an automatic permit. I'm actually hunting one I've never tried before on Friday, Guana River WMA.

I always make it a point to contact the biologist for a new WMA. They are usually more than happy to help get you on the birds.

cuppednlocked

alloutdoors

Quote from: born2hunt on April 01, 2015, 08:35:59 PM
That's a lot of money and trouble to gamble on such low odds and Im glad it worked out for ya.

It wasn't that bad. I only had to put in for two years to get drawn, and I would have been heading to GA anyway. It was really only the extra five hours of driving past Savannah, the cost of a license, and a place to stay. I really thought this year would just be a learning experience, and that I would probably strike out in FL and make up for it in GA. It worked out the exact opposite, and I'm fine with that.  ;D

Rapscallion Vermilion

Brian811

alloutdoors

Quote from: captin_hook on April 01, 2015, 08:06:44 PM
I can't believe someone would wait in line that long for a one day permit and not come back the next day. Crazy

As far as I know all 5 walk on permits did get used each day, it was just the contrast between the first day where they waited in line for over 21 hours, and the second and third days when someone could have shown up five minutes before the check station opened and grabbed a spot. The last two days I saw some of the same guys show up for the walk on permits, some of them were probably there the first day too.

Rio Fan

Great story and pics.  Congrats on getting an Osceola!  :icon_thumright:

Ross R

Awesome! Thanks for taking time to do the writeup! Glad you got your bird. It's downright nutty what we do to duck hunt down here in some of the impoundments.

GobbleNut

Very enjoyable story and pictures.  Thanks for taking the time and effort,...and congrats on your success.  My son and I are flying into Orlando tomorrow afternoon ourselves. 

kevin2

Great photos. I couldn't make it threw the entire short novel! Thanks for sharing...
I am going to bag my first Turkey this spring if it is the last thing I do!

bammerslammer 50

Congratulations on the bird. That was a great read and awesome photography thanks for posting.