OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Sick from mouth calls?

Started by bamahunter, April 01, 2015, 10:19:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bamahunter

Dumb question (or something that's been discussed before) but do any of you seem to get sick about 2wks into turkey season each year? I don't suffer from allergies at all, despite the fact that I'm in a region where other folks do but it seems like I get the same sore throat issue every year. I usually get 2-3yrs out of my calls keeping them in the freezer during off season and I use a non-alcohol based mouthwash to disinfect them at the end of each season but I'm bad about just rinsing with hot water and letting them dry in-between hunts.... I might have answered my own question, probably should be disinfecting them after every cpl uses like I did with a retainer back in high school, ha. Any opinions or similar experiences?

TauntoHawk

I store mine right in the mouth wash/water solution in the fridge, I might keep em out for a few days of hunting but they are in a skoll can with a sponge soaked in mouth wash.

I couldn't stand getting the sore throat after a few days of hunting, and I hate putting a call in my mouth that tastes like dried spit and that mornings coffee.

I don't seem to ruin them by keeping them in it at all times as I have some calls several years young that still play like new.
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

wisconsinteacher

For the first time that I can remember it happened to me this week.  I ran 4 different calls and with in a few hours had a scratchy throat. 

Bill Cooksey

Obviously they harbor a whole lot of bacteria. I've been both careless and lucky over the years. My diaphragm wallet stays in the same shirt pocket all season (unless I wash the shirt), and it goes in a dresser drawer after the season. Never been sick during turkey season other than allergies if I forget to take my medicine in the morning.

Probably has nothing to do with it, but by keeping them in a wallet rather than a plastic case they dry out soon after each hunt.

CT Spur Collector

There's an entire "mouthwash" thread on the very first page of the forum.....check it out.

busta biggun

I admire your desire to get the most from your investment. For me, I figure that mouth calls aren't that expensive and I want to know that the latex if fresh, etc. Therefore, I usually throw away all my mouth calls each year and start the new season with fresh calls. During the season, after I use a call I just blow out excess spit and stick it in the plastic case each time. When I use it I just pull it out and leave it in my mouth the whole time I am hunting. They may be a little stiff and dry for a few seconds when I first put them in but they loosen up pretty quick. May be gross but that's what I do. I wouldn't use any sponges as they have the possibility to  grow bacteria. The mouthwash may kill it all but I just don't trust sponges at all.

Ihuntoldschool

I have  had it happen, bacteria builds up over time and it can give you a throat infection.   I would get a new call if this was happening. 

reflexl

I had an allergic reaction to the latex that I thought was going to kill me. One of our members here made me a couple of non latex calls a couple of years ago. I used them to kill a a couple of birds. reflexl

BowBendr

I bought a few new calls about a month ago. I rinsed them off before using them. That night I woke up about 2 a.m. and I couldn't swallow, and when I did the pain was so bad I cried. Made a Dr. appt that day and he ended up running a scope down thru my nose to look in my esophagus and larynx. Scared the poo outta me. As a 20 year chewer/dipper, I thought it was cancer.
Dr. said something was on those calls and I should have washed them better before using them even though they were new. First time that's happened in 30 years of running diaphragm calls. An expensive $528 lesson. 3 weeks and 3 days later my throat is still sore.....

Snoodsniper

Quote from: BowBendr on April 02, 2015, 12:55:55 AM
I bought a few new calls about a month ago. I rinsed them off before using them. That night I woke up about 2 a.m. and I couldn't swallow, and when I did the pain was so bad I cried. Made a Dr. appt that day and he ended up running a scope down thru my nose to look in my esophagus and larynx. Scared the poo outta me. As a 20 year chewer/dipper, I thought it was cancer.
Dr. said something was on those calls and I should have washed them better before using them even though they were new. First time that's happened in 30 years of running diaphragm calls. An expensive $528 lesson. 3 weeks and 3 days later my throat is still sore.....
Sounds pretty unpleasant. I'll be disinfecting new calls from now on. Never gave it a thought before.

mudhen

Yes...

I buy 10-12 new calls each season, toss the old ones...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Lighten' up Francis"  Sgt Hulka

MDSTRUTNRUT

Used to get a sore throat every turkey season until started keepin mouthcalls in mouthwash everyday.   Read that in an article years ago by a turkey hunter that was a dentist.   Used non alcohol mouthwash but would soften tape after a season or so.   Gonna try water/non alcahol mouthwash 50/50 this year as suggested on here.   

bamahunter

I appreciate all the responses... some good info there. I'm stubburn and just needed to hear other experiences to clean them more often and buy some new ones, ha. Hard to do when you're as cheap as me, I still have a Lynch Pro-Mini slate and Lynch box call I've been carrying for 18-19ish yrs. Also I actually lost the call on my turkey hunt down in FL last week that was probably the culprit so I had to replace anyway.  :)

BowBndr - whew! nasty story but thanks for sharing that info, might save others a $500+ dr's visit.

paboxcall

Couple years ago I cut a week long hunt short due to a sore throat - now, I always rinse mouth calls in a 50/50 solution of Listerine and tap water, and air dry after every hunt.  After about a week of hunting, I throw away the mouth call and get a new one.

For $7 or $8, cheap, cheap, cheap insurance to prevent getting sick again.  Couple have bought a handful of new mouth calls for the price of the co-payment to the doctor that week I went home early.
A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods. Yoder409
Over time...they come to learn how little air a good yelper actually requires. ChesterCopperpot

stinkpickle

Quote from: Snoodsniper on April 02, 2015, 04:01:29 AM
Quote from: BowBendr on April 02, 2015, 12:55:55 AM
Sounds pretty unpleasant. I'll be disinfecting new calls from now on. Never gave it a thought before.

I might start rinsing new calls, too.  I already do it during the season and get new calls every year anyway, but the safer, the better.