Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Huntin field turkeys in the afternoon

Started by jbrown, March 31, 2015, 10:09:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jbrown

I have had a lot of luck over the yrs killin gobblers that are alone in a field. If I can sneak close enough and get inside of his comfort zone , they will respond to callin, or know where he likes to leave a field and wait there. My question, say you have 3 long beards and 7 hens feedin in a field in the afternoon, I can sneak to with in 80yds of the birds, what is your favorite tactic to kill 1 of the gobblers??

deerbasshunter3

I would have to say that my favorite tactic for killing one gobbler would be to shoot it in the head with my shotgun...

sbraham

GobbleNut

Quote from: deerbasshunter3 on April 01, 2015, 07:32:59 AM
I would have to say that my favorite tactic for killing one gobbler would be to shoot it in the head with my shotgun...

:TooFunny: :TooFunny: :TooFunny:

rpinks

I would cutt fast and load once to pull a dominate hen and the toms should follow. If that didn't work my next move would be several soft yelps and cut lose with a gobble. If one of those birds are dominate he should come to see who is in his zone.
Thanks, RP

mgm1955

First this
Quote from: rpinks on April 01, 2015, 12:30:26 PM
I would cutt fast and load once to pull a dominate hen and the toms should follow. If that didn't work my next move would be several soft yelps and cut lose with a gobble. If one of those birds are dominate he should come to see who is in his zone.
Then this
Quote from: sbraham on April 01, 2015, 08:22:53 AM
Get to fanning.......

Indianayounggun

I have a real phobia of spooking turkeys in general, but especially if they are in a pattern. Normally if you see turkeys in a field during the afternoon they will frequent that field. I normally don't like to try and sneak up on turkeys in a field so I would probably back out and come back the next day to where I saw them and set up with a strutter or jake decoy and at least two hens. Sometimes you can be I try to be more aggressive but I hunt a lot of river bottoms where spooking turkeys means they fly the river and may not be back for days or even a week in some cases.

g8rvet

Depends Indiana. If there is competition there (meaning other hunters), I would lean to the aggressive side, but if not, then I would lean towards your thoughts.
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

Kylongspur88

Go back the next day and kill one from a blind in the middle of the field.

woody328

Quote from: Kylongspur88 on April 02, 2015, 06:30:55 PM
Go back the next day and kill one from a blind in the middle of the field.

That's kinda like how Willie Horton answered when asked why he robbed banks. "Because that's where the money is."

zelmo1

Get there early and set up. If they are there every day, chances that the dominant bird will defend the area are good. How you do it is your choice. I like to get the boss hen riled and try to pull him that way.

owlhoot

Quote from: zelmo1 on April 04, 2015, 01:10:05 PM
Get there early and set up. If they are there every day, chances that the dominant bird will defend the area are good. How you do it is your choice. I like to get the boss hen riled and try to pull him that way.
x2 good advice.
  and ya shoot em in da head with yur scattergun.  Just don't use that slow lead stuff cuz it may bounce off!  Specially if that plastic stuff stays on the shot. :blob10:

But at 80 yards , use a rifle. Dont try it with a shotgun dang nabbit.    :bike2:

Have fun!