OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

trying out two chokes this weekend

Started by rickyb, March 31, 2015, 12:42:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rickyb

I have purchased a new shotgun and its a 28" beretta a400. I have 7 boxes of heavy magnum blends 5,6,7. I have a JEBS 655 choke and a heavy 13 extended range ( I think 670 constriction). Pattern will be at 40 yds. Have shot jelly heads in my last three guns but they don't make one for beretta a400. Do you guys think the heavy at half the cost will have a better pattern? I get frustrated buying turkey chokes to fit a gun. Can get expensive but turkey hunting is expensive. Hopefully I got a winner.

the Ward

Magblend's are real good shooting shells. Not sure of the bore size on the a400's barrels, but I would imagine you should get good results with either one of those chokes. Yea, it can get a little pricey  at times finding a combo, but once your done you'll have a setup that you have confidence in custom tailored to your hunting requirements. Then all you need to do is stock up on some ammo and check your sights before season. Unless you get the bug like some of us have and just got to keep tinkering with a new choke/shell/gun combo every year lol!

BennieGobbler

Keep us Posted.....Beretta is sending me a New A400.  The gun has cycle problems out of the box and it took them too long to get it repaired and I raised enough hell they are sending me a new one.  Should have shipped yesterday or today.  I have Jeb's .655 I am dying to shoot with LB 4's 5's 6's and then Heavy 12 6's and Mag Blends 5-6-7.
Print by Madison, on Flickr

rickyb

I will keep you posted BennieGobbler. I had a browning bps that was the best shooting turkey gun I ever owned. I had some work done on it to tame some of the kick. Let a duck hunter talk me out of it. Bought a Franchi 612 and tried several chokes and shells and after many turkeys let my son have it. Bought a beretta stream 2 and had to put a set of rifle sights on it but it shot mag blends well. A guy wanted it for duck hunting and I sold it. So will give the a400 a whirl. If I'm not happy with the two chokes I will give pure gold a try. I'm all about finding the perfect combo. Hope I can find it with the magblends cause I got 7 boxes of same lot

forcercon1

In my A400 Xtreme I shoot a "Pattern Master Code Black" & "Sumtoy" choke. The best patterns have come with Hevi #5's & 6's, along with Longbeard 5's & 6's.

I have not shot the choke or shells you had mentioned. I will be looking forward to your results! 

rickyb

I just broke my a400 down for the first time to clean it. Shot a case of 3" goose loads thru it in February, getting it ready to test these chokes. I noticed something odd about the front sight. It looks as if the red tube had fell out of the metal bead. I called beretta and they are sending one out. CS rep told me to put a lighter to the new one and melt the optic to the metal before installing. I'm thinking of painting my old one white at least for a backup if this fails. Impressed by CS but not by small parts failing on a high dollar gun. I also ordered both 660 and 670 chokes from pure gold to test. Looks like the weekend of the 11th will be when I can do it. Will post up results after I'm thru. Rick

forcercon1

My sight was loose as well.... I put a drop of "super glue" on each side and problem fixed.

rickyb

Just got an email and both pure gold chokes are on back order.. JEBS chokes volentered to send the 650 and 660 choke if the 655 didn't work. I think I will shoot Sunday and will post results. Bobby at JEBS wants me to send him results also. Worst case I try all three chokes of JEBS and then pure gold chokes will be ready. Maybe just maybe the hevi choke I have will beat them all. I'm in Branson now till Saturday with wife and can walk to bass pro. Any other shells I should grab to try? Federal he or long beards?

allaboutshooting

It sounds like you're set on chokes. Super glue or a little clean nail polish should keep that fiber optic in place.

Good luck. Look forward to hearing how your patterning goes.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

rickyb

Posted the results on pattern page forum. I got 203 in 10" circle with JEBS 255 and hevi magblends. I got 152 in 10" with hevi choke and same 3.5 magblends. I also got a good pattern with 3.5 long beards but didn't count the hits yet. I really don't know if I will try any other chokes. I may try pure gold 670. It looks like my POI is off by 5 inches and a little high. Not interested in putting sights on the A400. Probably will use the hevi choke and magblends for season. May go back to a BPS pump and make it my turkey gun. Any information or ammo, choke combo to try let me know. Rick

forcercon1

Was the POA / POI off that much with each choke / shell combo?

BennieGobbler

I got my best #'s with Hevi 13 #6's and LB #6's...

270 and 257 with LB #6's

231 with the Hevi 13 #6's

All out of Jeb's 655 and Beretta A400
Print by Madison, on Flickr

worth612000

I know William @ SumToy has done some extensive test with the A-400. You could pm him @ SumToy and ask about his results. I think your choke dia with a certain load is going to be the magic number. I have been impressed with what .005 up or down will do to a pattern.

NFW

I'm shooting at kicks 670 out of mine and it throws a great pattern with LB 3.5 #6 I had great results with 3" #5 but 3.5" #6 looked a little better to me. Wouldn't hesitate to take a shot out to 50yd

rickyb

Thanks for the replies guys. I will try the IC 665 and see how it shoots. Rick