OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

What happened???

Started by RussM311, March 30, 2015, 07:25:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RussM311

For the last week, we have been able to hear 12-15 toms gobbling every morning. Today, not a peep. There was not a single gobble, cluck, or putt.  Just before sunrise, a minimal cold front moved through the area. Am I wrong in thinking that it was the weather that affected so many birds at one time? There were no other environmental changes....no big hunter intrusion... nothing. Any ideas??

guesswho

Write it off to turkeys being turkeys.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

RussM311

Never had them coordinate amongst themselves like this before....  :-))

strum

sorry ##&%#&ers  saw the opening day on the internet ;D

tippatah

I don't think the weather would have caused that. When the cold front hit here this weekend I heard more gobbling in two days than I have all season.

Greenshed Longbeard

Not the weather maybe coyotes or they wanted to mess with you. I have seen gobblers on 
The roost that didn't fly down till 9 and even then never made a sound other than their wings.
Greenshed Longbeard

RemingtonRules

I have heard during a full moon that turkeys will do a lot of strutting and drumming at night.  They can be seen on the limb.  Maybe they were up all night and quieter at 'normal' time?  Never can tell with these birds.

WV TURKEY THUG

coyotes could have went through the area last night

TauntoHawk

I've seen beautiful gorgeous days in the woods and never heard a peep. Some days are just strange
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Spitten and drummen

Some of it can be attributed to the phase of the breeding cycle where you are at. There is always a lull in gobbling here. Tomes gobble to attract hens. When hens are in their pocket then it's no need to gobble. I have noticed that in the areas I hunt here , like a light switch , the gobbling turns off or almost completely off. We go through about a week of minimal to non existant gobbling , then they fire back up out of the blue. This is just my observation. Take it for what it's worth.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

turkey_slayer

Quote from: RemingtonRules on March 30, 2015, 07:59:52 PM
I have heard during a full moon that turkeys will do a lot of strutting and drumming at night.  They can be seen on the limb.  Maybe they were up all night and quieter at 'normal' time?  Never can tell with these birds.
I know when I've been up strutting all night I don't feel like doing anything the next day

fallhnt

They could have been on the limb drumming away to all the hens.
When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

J-Shaped

Most likely effects of El Nino or what deer hunters refer to as the "trickle rut", which in this case is called the "trickle strut"..... ;D

the Ward

mass alien abduction.......for this> :turkey2:

chcltlabz

Pressure change has a lot to do with turkey activity just like it does deer, and now that we have weather predictions for 10 days available any time we push a button on our phone, very few people pay attention to barometric pressure.  I'd be willing to bet there was a big pressure change that really shut them down.
A veteran is someone who, at one point, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America' for an amount of 'up to and including their life.'

That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.