turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

I really did know better . . . .

Started by jblackburn, March 30, 2015, 09:52:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Otdrzman

What worries me just as much is someone with a rifle 200 yards out and there I set in close proximity to the decoys. How in the world these states think that rifles and turkey decoys in combonation aren't dangerous is beyond me.

jblackburn

Quote from: Marc on March 30, 2015, 01:13:46 PM
Quote from: WV TURKEY THUG on March 30, 2015, 12:24:01 PM
and how in the world did this guy think he could sneak that close to turkey  what a dummy

I have done it, both incidentally and purposefully...

Still no excuse for taking such a shot, but some of these decoys are pretty realistic...  And, seeing a live hen scurry away from a jake, might have made the scene a bit more convincing for a hunter.

Glad everyone is ok, and that no damage was done, (except to the decoy and possibly some underwear).

Jblackburn, what kind of Jake decoy were you using out of curiosity?

Then hen knew he was coming, she hurried off probably 45 seconds to a minute before he shot.  I really don't think he saw the hen, but I really did not ask him either.

The jake is a Pretty Boy Jr with a repainted head.  Looks good, but not that good.
Gooserbat Games Calls Staff Member

www.gooserbatcalls.com

Genesis 27:3 - Now then, get your weapons—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

jblackburn

Quote from: WV TURKEY THUG on March 30, 2015, 01:22:28 PM
Quote from: Marc on March 30, 2015, 01:13:46 PM
Quote from: WV TURKEY THUG on March 30, 2015, 12:24:01 PM
and how in the world did this guy think he could sneak that close to turkey  what a dummy

I have done it, both incidentally and purposefully...

Still no excuse for taking such a shot, but some of these decoys are pretty realistic...  And, seeing a live hen scurry away from a jake, might have made the scene a bit more convincing for a hunter.

Glad everyone is ok, and that no damage was done, (except to the decoy and possibly some underwear).

Jblackburn, what kind of Jake decoy were you using out of curiosity?
with that tailfan thing? lol jk i guess it all depends on the terrain ur hunting

Not a strutting jake.  The terrain was pine woods that are fairly open and the decoys were in a mowed path that the LDWF keeps up.  The trail is probably 5-7 yards wide
Gooserbat Games Calls Staff Member

www.gooserbatcalls.com

Genesis 27:3 - Now then, get your weapons—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

WV TURKEY THUG

living in wv were rifles are legal i have yet to see one person on public land with a decoy. but ive only seen one person i can recall use a rifle on public land. i good portion of rifle kills are from people shooting them from there vehicle and checking them in acting like they legally killed it. wv is bad for turkey poachers. but there is some people that do legally hunt them with a rifle dont get me wrong. decoys are not popular in my area vary rarely do here someone tell a story that involves a decoy

tomstopper

Quote from: guesswho on March 30, 2015, 12:27:07 PM
Wow! 

I don't deal with Stupid very well.  I'd probably have made the local news.
My thoughts exactly.

Glad everyone was ok. I don't use decoys on public land for this very reason....

strum

about 4 years ago I was sitting in my little make shift natural blind when I noticed all the birds got dead silent.
I knew that meant someone was walking close and sure enough I see a guy headed my way. Think he has to see me I just sat still and then I see him take aim at my decoy!!! now I know some guys are green but to think you can walk with in 30 yards of a hen and to top it off it was a cheapo feather flex any one should be able to tell it was not real right?
anyway I stopped him but if I had not he was about to fire.  yep we had some words.
  im sorry that happened to yall..  im just amazed at the things we have to go through in the name of safety .. why oh why do we have to place something orange on our dead ,upside down. hung across our back turkeys is beyond me. I mean how in the world does guys mistake this for something to shoot at?...ill never understand

sbbow

You can't fix STUPID you can try all day but it won't happen.I'm glad you guy's are alright.

owlhoot

Quote from: sbbow on March 30, 2015, 08:05:56 PM
You can't fix STUPID you can try all day but it won't happen.I'm glad you guy's are alright.
:whip2:

fsu33952

Decoys have only been legal in Alabama for a few years. I really hate carrying it. I have set it up exactly 3 times. Twice on private land and once on public land. The time I set it up on public land there were two gobblers and one flew down on the ground and then picked up and flew to within about 70 yards. He almost busted me sitting it out. I had not called yet so I am pretty he saw me putting the thing out. He was not the first turkey gobbling. That joker must have been pretty desperate to see a human set out a decoy and the fly to it. Those two turkeys ended up standing out there gobbling and finally walked off in separate directions. I took the decoy down and laid into him calling and got woound again. Gobbled at him a few times and here he comes. I am just not so sure they are worth the trouble they are to carry around. If he is going to come he is going to come. My dad shot through my decoy shooting a gobbler once. But he did that on purpose. He "claims" the turkey saw us but I am not so sure. I think he did it being funny.

Snoodsniper

Glad you guys are OK. At least the dude was shooting something that resembles a turkey. Back in 2010 a man was killed just down the road from me because he wore a red shirt under his camo. Another hunter saw something red moving in the brush and shot. You can't be too careful. There's a lot more bad hunters out there than good ones.

mgm1955

SinGin

Quote from: guesswho on March 30, 2015, 12:27:07 PM
Wow! 

I don't deal with Stupid very well.  I'd probably have made the local news.

Ditto!!!! You and I think alike

surehuntsalot

Quote from: TauntoHawk on March 30, 2015, 12:32:11 PM
I'm mad just reading about this... I agree and leave the decoys at home when on public land

very good idea, but also in this day and time be very careful on private land also, just because you are suppose to be alone doesn't mean that you are alone
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

Gooserbat

I bet that guy would never buy calls from me had of I been there.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

Marc

Quote from: jblackburn on March 30, 2015, 01:30:44 PM
Not a strutting jake.  The terrain was pine woods that are fairly open and the decoys were in a mowed path that the LDWF keeps up.  The trail is probably 5-7 yards wide

Yeah, a Pretty Boy Jr. (painted head or not) is probably not a decoy that should fool a hunter close enough to take a shot...  The fact that he was too far to do real damage to the decoy makes me wonder how many turkeys are shot at long ranges that are not recovered, but do not survive?

As I stated earlier there is no good excuse for taking the shot...  The vast surplus of stupidity of people in general, and hunters in particular will never cease to amaze me...

The lack of common sense and common courtesy, is one of the biggest reasons it is so darned difficult to get access on private property in my state...  Stories like this are prime examples of why no reasonable person would let someone they do not know hunt on their land..

It saddens and disturbs me to hear these stories...
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.