turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Jakes on accident...

Started by Reloader, March 24, 2011, 02:26:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reloader

How many of you have killed jakes on accident thinking they were a longbeard?

I've killed 5 jakes over the years and 4 of them I would have sworn were longbeards. The other was shortly after I started turkey hunting. 

Trevor2

I have killed one Jake and I thought it was a gobbler. He had a full gobble and never tried to strut, I couldn't see how long his beard was bc of high grass but I knew he had one. He made one last gobble and I rolled him at 52 yards. He had a 6" beard and no spurs just black dots.
Strutstopper

jperrotti

Killed one last year. Didn't get a good look at him and he was moving fast through the thick stuff to my side. Didn't feel too bad about it. He should not have been gobbling...
Remington 870 SPS-T Super Mag .660 JH Nitro 2-1/4 oz. Straight 7's Burris FastFire II

handcannon

I did it last year. Full fan. Full gobble. Short beard and nubby legs. He died like a big boy and tasted like the rest of them.  Now if my team mates will let me live it down. Still getting slack over that one.

Muskie03

Not by accident but a few years ago it was the end of the season and a jake jumped up on my mounted hen and started wrecking it. Pissed me off. So I burned my last tag on him.
Muskie03 Taught Me A Lesson In 2011

If it eats I can catch it, if it bleeds I can kill it.

Reloader

I know what you mean on the gobbling.  Alot of them can't gobble worth a hoot, but I've come across several that could gobble like a big boy.  I've even seen them do the dance and breed hens.

Tail Feathers

Just one.  He was coming in with a longbeard and had a full fan.  He was shoving the longbeard around and acting like the dominant bird.

Due to limited visibility, I saw the longbeard on the other bird but couldn't see the chest on this one.  I thought this one was more dominant so must be another longbeard.

Wrong. :gobble:  It was still a great hunt and I don't have any regrets.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

hobbes

I've killed two that I thought were toms in the last two years.  The first in IL in 2009 after I let the first longbeard of three walk through an opening then blasted the second.  I could have swore all three were longbeards.  The second in NE last year that slipped in to our far right after gobbling into the wind a half hour earlier.  I didn't hear the gobble but my son did.  I could see beard and red head, but in my haste to swing around and kill him, I failed to notice the "jake" part.

I can remember four others that I knew were jakes when I killed them, one my first bird, one that I decided to kill on the last day of the season, and two that on separate occasions showed up late in the season that wanted to act like the big boys...........so I decided to treat them like one.  I believe as the season progresses, some of the jakes develop their gobble quite a bit and can fool you into chasing them around assuming they are toms.........I don't appreciate that.

I'm still not opposed to laying another one out if the mood strikes me.  

BrowningGuy88

There is one gonna die Saturday if he does what he has been doing. Busted me twice this week by coming in from behind me. He has got to go!

TrackeySauresRex

I once killed a Jake that thought he was a Tom!  ;D
"If You Call Them,They Will Come."

Basser69

I killed two, the first birds I called in and did not know any better. I have never had an accident but I am not saying that I am failproof by any means. If he struts or gobbles like the man, he just might eat like the man.

turkey_slayer

Killed 3.  My first bird was a jake.  The next was an accident and the last one I killed  many years ago was on purpose.  2 jakes came in and whipped my gobbler I was getting ready to shoot.  He was in range it was just to thick to get a clear shot.  I watched him get his butt kicked then busted the first jake  that I had a clear shot on out of frustration and to even the odds  :D

guesswho

I have a special beard board for those youngsters who have met this fate.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

barry

I killed several jakes back when I started and some years that was the only bird I called in.
There was one in particular that I would have bet the house on being a longbeard. Played the game just like a 3 year old, even hung up on me. Finally he strutted into range, fan as full as you would want it to be. When I reached him I couldn't even find a beard for while, when I did it was only 1 1/2 inches.
Heckuva hunt and I don't regret shootin' him at all.

hobbes

OK....maybe the term "accident" isn't the correct word to use.  I shot both the birds I called an "accident" knowingly and safely.  They didn't die by accident, they died because I shot them with a load of #6's on purpose.  The closest thing to accident was I made an error in determining jake or tom.