turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

835, Hevi 676 choke, 3" hevi #7's

Started by Chew, March 28, 2015, 10:02:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chew

This seems really low. I expected a lot more.
It was 35 degrees this morning if that matters.
I shot one at 40 yards that had 115.

Not sure whether I should try something new or just hunt it this season.

Birdyblaster

Did you have a large paper behind that target to see the whole pattern?  If not, you may have missed the paper with the densest part of your pattern.  115 is really low for Hevi 7's.

10gaugemag

You really need a large sheet of cardboard, 3'x3' or larger to see if you were hitting where you were aiming. Also wait til it warms up a bit tomorrow and try again. If you still don't like what you see scrub that barrel down and start over.

Chew

Quote from: 10gaugemag on March 28, 2015, 10:36:54 PM
You really need a large sheet of cardboard, 3'x3' or larger to see if you were hitting where you were aiming. Also wait til it warms up a bit tomorrow and try again. If you still don't like what you see scrub that barrel down and start over.

I was shooting at a giant paper backer. This is where it was hitting.

I'm pretty sure I had better numbers with Remington gun clubs.  :angry9:

10gaugemag

chatterbox

Quote from: 10gaugemag on March 29, 2015, 12:57:56 AM
Wait for warmer weather.
This^^^^^
Those numbers are low, very low for that combo.
The weather did in my opinion, had a lot to do with the pattern. Numbers will increase with warmer weather. I rarely shoot until it is at least the mid to upper 50's.
It could also be that your gun doesn't like that choke, or your barrel needs a deep clean. Lots of variables.

matchbook454

Could be a bum lot of Hevi.  Had similar problem last year.  Had 6 boxes of the same lot, fired 3 rounds with a 60 or so average at 40.  Shot 3 rounds from an old box and got 230 average.  Try a different lot.  If you find that the new lot is much better, contact Hevi Shot and return them.  They will pay shipping and send you a refund.