OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Jakes?

Started by Youngturkey, March 28, 2015, 12:10:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Youngturkey

I hunt on about 250 acres in northwest florida and I have a question for you guys. Normally we have 4-6 gobbkers each year on our property. I've hunted here for about 12 years and I have never seen a jake. Any of you have any ideas why?

g8rvet

I would guess they are pretty well subdued with that many gobblers on such a small piece. I had the opposite problem last year - a gang of 4 jakes were the dominant on my property and never heard any birds but them gobble. Dang teenagers.
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

Youngturkey

Well that's what we had always thought I just thought you would have seen at least one in about 12 years. I don't know maybe I have "toms only" territory

jperch

That does seem very strange to me.  I hunt two properties in upstate New York and in any given year I always see more jakes than adult gobblers.  Our numbers have generally been down the last few years and we had a tough winter snow wise.  I hope the young turkeys made it through.  Glad you are seeing some adults, good luck to you.   jperch

10gaugemag

Quote from: Youngturkey on March 28, 2015, 12:10:31 PM
I hunt on about 250 acres in northwest florida and I have a question for you guys. Normally we have 4-6 gobbkers each year on our property. I've hunted here for about 12 years and I have never seen a jake. Any of you have any ideas why?
Because there are enough long beards to keep them whooped????  I have been at this game for almost 30 years and have called 1 jake to a fighting purr and killed my first Rio that was a jake, not a single other jake called to me. I have hunted in some of the best ground in Missouri and have called in and killed 1 jake in Mo. and an OK. jake, not a single other. Call it luck or whatever but it isn't bothering me at all.

Marc

I have hunted areas in which I saw almost all adult toms, and areas that I hardly ever saw an adult (but a lot of jakes)...

My thought is that the dominant birds (be it hens or toms) tend to rule the roost in more desirable habitat...  I very well could be mistaken on that..
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

g8rvet

I have been thinking on this and we know one thing. If there are gobblers, there WERE jakes.  My guess would be that your 250 is prime habitat for the gobblers and it is the big leagues - meaning any gobbler that hangs in that area has better be ready to fight for his spot.  Maybe the jakes are elsewhere and just don't move in to your area until they are ready for a battle. 

I rarely saw jakes on my place until last year - there was a gang of four acting like they were the big dog.  Never saw a gobbler the whole year.  Probably kept them run off. 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

Youngturkey

That's true I just don't understand why we wouldn't see them. We don't even see them during deer season i don't know maybe it's just a crazy thing. We do have the maximum number of mature toms in the area imo so I guess the jakes don't want any part in that.

zelmo1

It cycles around here. We had jakes out the wazoo last year. If we didn't have a bad winterkill, we should in theory, have a lot of 2 year olds this year. Time will tell

Dr Juice

Quote from: Youngturkey on March 28, 2015, 12:10:31 PM
Consider yourself blessed. The gobblers may run them out of town when it's time for you to hunt.