OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Coyote shock calls...

Started by Honolua, March 27, 2015, 03:35:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Honolua

Our turkeys aren't super vocal due to predators. It's usually pretty hard to get shock calls to work around here for some reason but I have had limited success with a coyote call...

This is a great site. I just found it last night. I live in Odenville, Alabama and LOVE turkey hunting. Haven't gotten one yet this year but have Working out the cobwebs and getting close.

Bowguy

Some places coyote calls work. Where I am turkey calls work great for calling coyotes. I believe they're quieter when coyotes are around n don't use em

Red Huck

Quote from: Bowguy on March 28, 2015, 04:46:37 AM
Some places coyote calls work. Where I am turkey calls work great for calling coyotes. I believe they're quieter when coyotes are around n don't use em
Yes, here you may call in a yote with your yelper.

Marc

I believe they're quieter when coyotes are around n don't use em

I have never tried them for that reason...  I would think that making a predator sound would put the birds on edge...

Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

owlhoot

Quote from: Marc on March 28, 2015, 10:40:54 PM
I believe they're quieter when coyotes are around n don't use em

I have never tried them for that reason...  I would think that making a predator sound would put the birds on edge...
would definitely say not to use them, try an owl or crow.

Gooserbat

I like to use the on Rios and Merriams.  I've seen easterns gobble at totes but I think an owl is a better option.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

zelmo1

Coyote calls shut them up here. Seen a lot of coyotes sneak in when we are calling.

shaman

If you listen to my "Fog at Faulty Towers" podcast, you'll hear gobblers responding to coyotes at the beginning.  Truth is, my gobs seldom need any help from me to sound off.  We have so many things around our place that aggravate gobblers.  I've heard them go off at donkeys, pea fowl, barking dogs, lawnmowers, cattle mooing, and a school bus. I stopped using locator calls myself ages ago.  I just sit and wait for something to set them off.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries  of SW Bracken County, KY 
Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

WV TURKEY THUG

id use a air horn before id use a yote call i assume u mean a howler not a rabbit in distress lol. good luck though. i use a owl call the whole day for a locator.

WildTigerTrout

I never use a coyote call here. It shuts the birds up and I mean right now! Years ago a friend and I were working a nice gobbler soon after sunrise. Had him gobbling and coming in like he was on a rope. Some guy on the bordering property down the hill and across the stream from us sounded off with a coyote howler. The bird shut up instantly and disappeared.
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!

lhprop1

Yote calls work around here for sure.

Last year, we set up near where we thought their roosts were.  We were off by a little bit, but we decided to wait until after dark before humping it out so the wouldn't see us and then come back in the morning and blast 'em when they came down.

We were set about 40-50 yards into the woods and there was an open grass field to our backs.  As we were waiting for it to get dark, we heard a blood-curdling scream come from right behind us in that grass field.  The yotes howling to celebrate their deer kill right behind us set all of the gobblers in their roosts to gobbling right in front of us.  Those two sounds went on for about a minute or two, echoing through the woods and making our hair stand on end.  We made sure to walk out of there with our guns loaded. 

So, yeah, yote calls work up here. 

turkey harvester

The birds I hunt here in Mo like it. Seems to be the only way i can get one to gobble so far this year in the evening. They will tear it up to one. gonna get me one for sure.
TURKEY NUT CUSTOM STRIKERS- Jeffrey Thompson-Owner.  Kathleen,GA
Hunt with your kids, not for them.

Hunt with your kids, not for them.

Rio Fan

The mountain birds in Washington and Idaho respond pretty well to coyote calls late in the evening when they're already on the roost.