OldGobbler

OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

will recent logging destroy my upcoming season?

Started by jtoliver43, March 26, 2015, 08:40:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jtoliver43

hey guys, I've become discouraged about the upcoming SC season. the only lease I have to hunt this year which is 60% pines and 40% hardwoods/creek bottoms as been logged to bits. all the pines have been thinned drastically and the hardwoods have been logged a little bit. the pines are on the higher elevations of the property and last year, most of the toms were roosting in the pines. I went out there the other day and managed to see one lonesome hen wandering around in the pines. but I am not seeing the usual signs that I do this close to season. for what its worth the deer are everywhere! what has been your experience hunting recently logged properties? they have not cleaned up or seeded yet, but I have been told they will not be back until after hunting season.

Thanks in advance
Conserve. Hunt. Share.

MACHINIST

My experiences with logging and bird has been positive.The one farm I hunt gets logged every 8-10 years and it seems those years I do better than others.It may be a coincidence but I think its because of the new growth,bugs and who knows past that that may draw them in

silvestris

You are in a brand new world and will have to adapt and hope that the turkeys don't find more attractive habitat.
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

DrummingStick

jtoliver43/machinist...I have an experience that might interest you.  I had my property logged and I had more Deer show up than ever before in one season.  But before that the Turkeys had quit coming on my property.  Low and behold It rained here last night and this morning went out and found turkey tracks that were clearly seen that I have not viewed in a long time followed the tracks and found droppings from a Gobbler.  So there is hope.  I don't mind the deer but would rather have all those Turkeys back.

MACHINIST

Most of the time when something is logged there is so many tree tops laying on the ground that its tough to see them in the area.Put out some trail cams and see what you get,Like drumminstick said.Go find some tracks then throw a cam or 2 up and see when they are using the area

tomstopper

Quote from: MACHINIST on March 26, 2015, 09:04:27 PM
My experiences with logging and bird has been positive.The one farm I hunt gets logged every 8-10 years and it seems those years I do better than others.It may be a coincidence but I think its because of the new growth,bugs and who knows past that that may draw them in
^^^This. In a couple years, the logged area will become green and be prime pickings for bugs, at least that is what happened in my area. It's a great spot now and holds a ton of birds. Good luck.

Cut N Run

Give it time for the turkeys to get used to their new surroundings.  My old lease had some serious thinning and fire lanes added one summer.  The lanes really helped us to move around and the turkeys liked to spend time in the openings.  There was also good nesting around the laps left on the ground as things started growing again.  As long as it wasn't totally clear cut of each and every twig, you'll be o.k..  Good luck.

Jim
Luck counts, good or bad.

ballyhoo

While it will change some patterns, don't get discouraged. Hunt and adapt. A couple years ago one of my properties was actively being thinned during the season. I was hunting nearby areas during the week when they were actively logging and heard birds nearby the logging operations.  On a Saturday I set up in a log landing and took a nice tom within 50 yards of a parked skidder.

zelmo1

They will adapt, so can you. Do your homework and you will be fine. Al Baker

shaman

I just wanted to give a +1  to those saying there is a potential upside.

Turkeys don't seem to mind it as much as you might think.  The bonus for them is that whatever remains grows up quickly and there are all sorts of delicacies for them to eat.  You might want to throw down some clover in the bare spots, but there is plenty there for them to much on and there will be more there shortly.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries  of SW Bracken County, KY 
Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

BowBendr

One guy on our team was hunting a piece of land in SC a few years ago that was being logged during bird season. He posted videos of himself killing gobblers while you could actually hear the saws/skidders running in the background.
Don't give up hope !

Sent from Gobblers Knob, NC

jtoliver43

Thanks for the positive reinforcement everyone!
Conserve. Hunt. Share.