OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Turkeys and fronts

Started by RiverRoost, March 26, 2015, 05:46:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RiverRoost

It's been in the 70's and sunny Tuesday and Wednesday then mid 60's today until a few sprinkles and a front blew through this afternoon and now about 60 w north wind. It's supposed to be sunny and 38 in the morning getting up to mid 50's. How have yall seen turkeys react when a front blows in and it cools off in an afternoon like this? Going hunting in the morning and just curious if any affects on gobbling

Marc

I sure would not expect the birds to be more active...  I have noticed that birds will sometimes get a bit quite with a front blowing in...

I have also noticed that bird activity can dramatically increase right after one blows through...
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

g8rvet

I love hunting the still, cool morning after the front is on by.  If the wind is still up, I tend to head to a field. 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

wisconsinteacher

I would expect them to be less vocal.  When the weather turns, get ready.  I love to hunt after a front (rain/thunder storm).

Spitten and drummen

I have seen them hammer away on those days sometimes , just like on those mornings you think they would be lighting it up and you cant buy a gobble. I think a lot depends on the phase of breeding they are in. also each bird is different and depends on how worked up he is. hard to say what those feathered demons will do. heck I don't think they do, until they do it.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

RiverRoost

Had an older turkey hunter tell me last year that I think the Owls wouldn't hoot unless the barometric pressure was above 29 or so. Anybody every heard this? I check the pressure on my weather app most mornings in the woods just for fun to see if it holds up