turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Turkey tail

Started by rosharb, March 26, 2015, 02:43:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rosharb

I see on some of the hunting shows they are using just a turkey tail to bring in toms. Has anyone tried this on pressured birds? I don't know if this is even legal in Michigan.

Bowguy

Really really bad idea. Don't do it

tomstopper

Quote from: rosharb on March 26, 2015, 02:43:21 PM
I see on some of the hunting shows they are using just a turkey tail to bring in toms. Has anyone tried this on pressured birds? I don't know if this is even legal in Michigan.
Pressured birds most of the time means public land. Its up to you if you feel comfortable but IMHO I wouldn't even try it (not even on private land). Whatever you decide, please be safe and good luck

NJstrutter

IMO public land usually means pressured birds and more hunters. I only have access to public land so this happens to be the case where I hunt. In the past I thought about using a turkey tail, but considering the amount of hunting pressure where I hunt I thought it might not be the safest idea. If it was private land and I was the only individual hunting it, I might think differently. Good Luck this season.

deerbasshunter3

zelmo1

:TrainWreck1: Trouble waiting to happen :z-twocents:

TRG3

While it obviously works as seen on various TV hunting shows, it presents a safety issue especially on public ground which several have already pointed out. Why not just carry a gobbler or jake decoy and situate the fan at the rear of your decoy? You could even run some clear fishing line to the tail to give it some action. I've done this in the past and sometimes, like everything else, it works. For me, it seems that having something visual is a motivation for the gobbler to come on in after my calling has gotten him close enough to see the decoy(s).

TRG3

While it obviously works as seen on various TV hunting shows, it presents a safety issue especially on public ground which several have already pointed out. Why not just carry a gobbler or jake decoy and situate the fan at the rear of your decoy? You could even run some clear fishing line to the tail to give it some action. I've done this in the past and sometimes, like everything else, it works. For me, it seems that having something visual is a motivation for the gobbler to come on in after my calling has gotten him close enough to see the decoy(s).

NFW

One of my good buddies does it every year on his own property with great success and I've always wanted to do it cause he says it's crazy how they will just charge him and get 10 yd away. But that is on his own private land, as far as public wouldn't do it at all!!!!! Heard of plenty of people just getting shot cause they heard a turkey gobble, so you if your in private where you know nobody is gonna mess with ya go for. If not don't!

mgm1955

Done it with great success on private land, wouldn't consider it on public ground.

Ihuntoldschool

Might work, you might get shot.

Strick9

Open fields private land only.
LowCountryWildlifeManagement
Knowing Wildlife beyond Science
Genesis 9;2

TauntoHawk

Wouldn't carry a fan anywhere close to public or decoys for that matter
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

KY LONGBEARD

I do it and have great success. I hunt private land. wouldn't reccomend on public. This technique has been out for years a lot of people had never heard of it and now that it's on tv everybody gonna start doing it and there won't be any gobblers left.????

Kylongspur88

I've heard it works great, but other hunters scare me. Seems like every year someone in this state gets shot, sometimes killed. Guy in my county was shot a few years ago while hunting private land. A trespasser shot through brush at his calls. He lived, but had his face, chest and arms ate up with shot.