OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Ported vs non ported chokes

Started by RiverRoost, March 26, 2015, 10:49:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RiverRoost

May have been discussed before but couldn't find it if so. I see rob Roberts uses a non ported choke and rhino and several other use ported. From my understanding the non ported will have a lot longer shot string. Opinions on either

allaboutshooting

Quote from: Trappey on March 26, 2015, 10:49:44 AM
May have been discussed before but couldn't find it if so. I see rob Roberts uses a non ported choke and rhino and several other use ported. From my understanding the non ported will have a lot longer shot string. Opinions on either

You've raised 2 very interesting subjects.

Ports are one of the more discussed topics within the choke design community. Some designers incorporate them into the parallel section of a choke to affect wad performance. Other ports, called "false ports" have no effect whatsoever on the wad or shot charge and may be cosmetic or serve as a vehicle for tightening or loosening a choke tube.

Shot string dynamics is another often discussed subject. Pioneers in the field like Bob Brister and L.P. Brezny have written rather extensively on the subject. L.P. has a chapter devoted to the subject in the "Gun Digest Guide to Modern Shotgunning".

It appears that what most affects the length of shot strings is the exit diameter of a choke tube. A larger exit diameter will produce a shorter shot string than will a smaller exit diameter. Most of this work has understandably been done with loads used for "flying targets" like waterfowl since a shorter shot sting, at least theoretically,  would put more of the shot on its target at the same time and might help a shooter better determine the necessary lead on a flying bird.

I don't know of any work done on the subject exclusively with turkey loads or turkey chokes since most of the time our targets are stationary. It is however another very interesting subject.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."