Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Using a call(s) that signals danger.

Started by deerbasshunter3, March 25, 2015, 03:46:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deerbasshunter3

I am listening to the NWTF turkey sounds to compare my calling to. I am wondering if I should even bother being able to make the Putt call, since it is a call that turkeys use to signal danger. Is there really a place in my arsenal for a call like that? Wouldn't it just keep birds from coming in?

BABS9

Only thing it is good for is  a means of getting a gobbler to stick his head up before you shoot if he won't come out of strut or something.

silvestris

It is not always easy to distinguish between a cluck and a putt.  Context plays a huge part, which is the reason to yelp or purr when employing the "cluck".
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

Bowguy

I often use it as part of a fight sequence, right before I start purring.

born2hunt

The best I can tell, a putt is just a loud aggressive cluck and due to is meaning to turkeys, I cant see a reason to use one other than getting him to come out of strut for a shot. I'm sure you will remember the first time you hear a turkey make a putt because it generally means the gig is up. 
Genesis 1:26
   Then God said, "Let us make mankind in our image, in our likeness, so that they may rule over the fish in the sea and the birds in the sky, over the livestock and all the wild animals,[a] and over all the creatures that move along the ground."

g8rvet

I think of a putt as a cluck with feeling.  Darn near every turkey I have killed, it was the last sound they heard.  Don't do it until you are at the ready! 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

ridgerunner

Yeah my putt and clucks are pretty much the same..the cluck will have yelps and soft clucks, then maybe a louder cluck, or clucks. follow by more yelps...a Putt is just a single loud Cluck with a long pause between...I have used it a couple times , like others said...basically to get a bird to pick his head up for a shot.

TauntoHawk

Think of a putt as context based, it's like to, too, two same sound different meanings. Alarm putts are just sharp evenly spaced clucks.

Deer snort to alert of danger and buck snort wheeze to show aggression.
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Bill Cooksey

On more than one occasion, I've had hens get close and start to putt. I putt back and gradually soften to soft clucks and purrs. A high percentage of time they'll calm down and stick around. Killed more than a few gobblers that eventually followed the "scared" hens.