turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Choke suggestions for an 870

Started by zelmo1, March 24, 2015, 07:42:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zelmo1

:OGturkeyhead: I am getting a friend from work hooked, what is a good choke and load to try in a 3" 870. Looking at Kicks and Jellyhead. Shooting longbeards or fed hvy wt. Thanks, Al Baker

AdamSean

I bought a new 870 this year. I went with my set-up from last year, which was a Primos Tight Wad choke and Winchester long Beard XR #5. Now I am using 3.5" shells, but that really is a number of pellets thing. But back to the choke. The Primos tight Wad is a .660 constriction. With the #5 shot, I was getting a bit of a wider pattern than I wanted. I like to use a #5 so I went in search of a slightly wider choke. I found the TruGlo Bone Collector Smackdown. Its a .667 constriction and gave me a tighter pattern at a greater distance. The best part is that the choke is only $25. It shoots better than my buddy's Indian Creek choke.

tomstopper

I like the Ventilator choke in mine but they are getting hard to find in stores or on the web unless you find one from a private seller. Good luck in whatever you choose....

deerbasshunter3

I use a Hevi Shot .662 choke on my 870. 200+ in a 10" circle at 40 yards with the Win LB 3" #6. Can't argue with those numbers.

J Lacey

That Heavy 13 .662 choke mentioned above has killed a lot of gobblers from my 870 with the Win supreme elites in #6. Shooting a Rhino .660 with the #6 longbeards this season and it jumped my numbers up to 50 more pellets @ 30 yrds and 100 more pellets @ 40 yards.  You just have to try different stuff
2020 Ohio Buckeye World Champion
2020 GNCC Amateur National Champion
2022 Ohio Buckeye World Champion
2022 GNCC Don Chancey award winner

laker

Another vote for the .662 Hevi Choke. Patterned mine this weekend and was getting 175 in a 10" at 40 yards. Winchester LBXR 3.5" #5.  :fud:

owlhoot

hevi .662 is a good choke for a Rem.
Carlsons .660 works well in my 26"

zelmo1

:OGturkeyhead: Thanks for the input. I will pass the info along. Al Baker

captin_hook

870supermagnum

I shoot an 870 Supermagnum 12ga, with a Jelly Head choke, and Win Supreme Elite ER HD 3.5" #6.  It's a very deadly combo.

:fud:    :OGani:

sbraham

I been shooting a 870 supermag many years using a kicks .665 and shooting longbeards thru it since last year. This combo didnt like heavyweights at all. Throwed em 6 inches low at 30 yards. barrel length will make a difference when choosing a choke. Mine is a 26 inch and i know of 4 birds that never flopped with the combo listed

jwright8

I shot Longbeards in my 870 with an Indian Creek. Patterned good.

Bama turkey hunter

I shoot a 870 supermag with a rhino 660
Tony

Gamblinman

Old Jellyhead in .660

If you're shooting Federal Heavyweights, one of Trulock's chokes made specifically for the #7 shot is the ticket.

Gman

"I don't hunt turkeys because I want to. I hunt turkeys because I have to."

chuckward

I've had good luck with comp-n-choke. Chuck