turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Hunting Hacks

Started by 870FaceLift, March 24, 2015, 02:42:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

870FaceLift

Last year, a member on here recommended using toothpicks to keep latex reeds from sticking.  This year, I read another good idea from several members; stating that they use newspaper bags to protect a mangled gobbler noggin from soaking their pants on the carry to the truck.

It has me thinking... What other hunting hacks do you all use?  Please pass them along!
Pass it on...

captin_hook

Pen caps for the ends of my strikers

jblackburn

Quote from: captin_hook on March 24, 2015, 02:43:17 PM
Pen caps for the ends of my strikers

I've used slip on erasers for that, too.
Gooserbat Games Calls Staff Member

www.gooserbatcalls.com

Genesis 27:3 - Now then, get your weapons—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

Swampchickin234

25 foot of para cord. Tie bushes back, quick turkey tote, backup sling if yours breaks, a cinch strap for a stool/lounger, back up shoe lace if one of yours breaks, lanyard for a hoot tube or crow call if you get tired of em clankin together, and whatever else you may need it for.  It sure has come in handy for me. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Marc

Not really hunting related per say, but I do like to get a good picture of myself with the bird where I shot it (using the timer on the camera).  I generally hunt alone, and in the past, I have struggled to find a good rock or stump to set my camera on (especially since I want a good back-drop in the picture and the sun behind the camera).  Last year I purchased one of those mini-tripods with the wire legs, and I can wrap it around a tree-limb and take a picture anywhere I want...Unfortunately, last year, both my birds were killed around 1 pm, which is terrible lighting for a picture...

I can even set up a pose:

Each picture I take solidifies a good memory, and hopefully will be something my children enjoy after I am not around...
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

Mike Honcho

I too hunt mostly by myself but like to get a good photo or two for remembering.

Someone on here mentioned a product called the Clip Shot last year and I bought one...it screws into the tripod mount hole on the bottom of a digital or video camera....and has a screw adjustable clip you can mount on a tee post, tree limb, arrow stuck in the ground, you name it , to hold your camera...it's smaller than a cigarette lighter too.

turkey_slayer

West Augusta

I hang a mini caribiner key ring on the outside of my vest with a piece of 60 grit, 120 grit sand paper and a piece of green scotchbrite on it so I don't have to rummage through my vest in a hurry to scuff a pot call or striker. 
No trees were hurt in the sending of this message, however a large number of electrons were highly inconvenienced.

tomstopper

I hardly ever use a flashlight unless I have a youth with me but when I do it has a homemade green or red lens on it. Take a ziplock and where the white part is (where you can write on it) I use a sharpie and color it in multiple times until I get the shade of the color I want. From here I cut small circle out of it big enough to overlap my small mag light. Take electrical tape and attach it by wrapping it multiple times (also go over the top so only half the surface of the light is exposed ignored to cut down on the amount of lite). I use enough tape so that when I do get a bird, I can wrap it around the tag to attach it to the leg to.