turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

jakes are killing me !!!

Started by Spitten and drummen, March 24, 2015, 11:25:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spitten and drummen

2nd hunt this year in this area. working a bird. he gobbled and eventually worked in. 4 jakes and one of them attempted strutting and gobbled like he owned the woods. he actually had a good gobble. would have sworn at least a 2 year old. haven't seen or heard any long beards or hens in this area this year yet. I normally kill a couple out of this area every year. wondering if there are any mature birds around. have any of you had a experience like this? do you think there are any good birds nearby or are they the only game in town? opinions and experiences welcomed. on a closing note. beautiful morning and he was the only bird I heard.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

zelmo1

A big group of jakes will keep a lone longbeard at bay. There is probably a longbeard around, wait him out. :z-twocents:

stinkpickle

It's hard tellin'.  I hunted a tom for over week that was constantly getting harassed by a gang of eight jakes.  He strutted for about 30 seconds on the first day before the gang rushed over and started flogging him.  After that, he stopped gobbling.  He used the same roost tree every night, but he would pitch down in the morning and run away before the jakes showed up.  He would always fly up over an hour early, too.  After a week of that nonsense, I switched to a different farm. 

Marc

Might be the Rios in my area, but I cannot tell the difference between a jake gobble and a tom gobble...  They all sound the same to me...

I have heard toms with a very tentative/half gobble, and I always assumed that this had to do with the state of nervousness or trepidation...  I have heard jakes double-gobble with authority, and just knew I had a big ol' tom coming in, only to see a 1" beard...

I sure wish I could tell the difference between the toms and the jakes from the gobble, as it would certainly save me some time and energy...

What are the specific differences in the gobble you hear between a jake and a tom?  Any links that compare the two?
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.