OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Roosts

Started by tippatah, March 21, 2015, 12:22:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tippatah

So I got into a debate with my hunting buddy this morning about roosts. I said they usually have the same roosting area and he said that they simply roost wherever they end up at he end of the day. So, who is right? Hopefully me, his head is big enough already

Spitten and drummen

Personally I have seen some birds roost in the same area and some not. Later in season gobblers will roam farther and therefore have a few roosting areas. This is just what I have observed. Also remember the most important thing , there are no absolutes in turkey hunting.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

BABS9

I've never really seen them just roost in random spots its usually the same spot or the same few different spots. Certain things can influence that like weather.

TauntoHawk

I have a few spots where there are birds every night every day of the year and it takes some serious pressure to get them to roost else where for the night.

The typical is that birds will have several proffered roosting areas they might bounce between on a property. In big big chunks of timber where there are good ridges everywhere it can become a lot more random. But in farm country or mixed terrain they tend to have their spots.
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

mgm1955

Quote from: TauntoHawk on March 21, 2015, 02:23:25 PM
I have a few spots where there are birds every night every day of the year and it takes some serious pressure to get them to roost else where for the night.

The typical is that birds will have several proffered roosting areas they might bounce between on a property. In big big chunks of timber where there are good ridges everywhere it can become a lot more random. But in farm country or mixed terrain they tend to have their spots.
:agreed:. Unless they are messed with too often.

zelmo1

:funnyturkey: My experience is that they prefer certain trees but are generally in the same areas most of the time. They do wander in the fall but in the spring they are fairly reliable. Unless they get pushed hard going to the roost repeatedly. We just got all day hunting here and we agreed that we would stop well before fly up so they have a chance to relax. Only my group, every one is different. Al Baker

Marc

Last year, I was hunting a couple birds that roosted in a different area (but near by) every time I hunted...

I have hunted other birds and areas that the birds seemed to roost in the same tree every evening.

I'd say you are both correct, and you are both incorrect...

I think that predators, weather, hen behavior and nesting, the terrain you are hunting, as well as hunting pressure all play roles in the consistency of roost sites...
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

tippatah

Well, from the sounds of things, at least I'm half right, haha. Not gonna tell him that though

TauntoHawk

Quote from: mgm1955 on March 21, 2015, 02:41:07 PM

of course, but that's a change because of human behavior not the birds. Those spots where the birds want to roost in the same trees are a gold mine, having a place you know you'll be on birds in am is great when you are out of other options so we keep the pressure down on those spots.
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

jims

Where I hunted in Nebraska last year the turkeys roosted pretty much in the same trees every evening early in the archery season when they were still in their wintering areas.  Later in the spring when the flocks started to disperse many of the turkeys moved several miles to where hens nested.  They obviously changed nesting locations once this happened.  I'm sure some turkeys stay in the same vicinity year round but where I hunted many of the turkeys moved to different roosting trees depending upon the time of year.

owlhoot

Quote from: TauntoHawk on March 21, 2015, 08:03:49 PM

Quote from: mgm1955 on March 21, 2015, 02:41:07 PM

of course, but that's a change because of human behavior not the birds. Those spots where the birds want to roost in the same trees are a gold mine, having a place you know you'll be on birds in am is great when you are out of other options so we keep the pressure down on those spots.
Ya just tell him that is because he keeps spooking his birds, yours are staying to the same roosts because you are a stealthy hunter and call better. :morning: ;) ;) :wave:

ridgerunner

I'd say you are more right than he is..Birds have preferred roosting sites..it could be a couple trees on one side of a property, and maybe a couple on the other side of a property as an example...if they are not getting pressured, food is available and water close, the birds will generally stay put and roost in those tree, now if it's getting close to fly up time and they happen to be closer to a couple preferred trees on the other side of property, I'd say they use em...but most times  unpressured birds have preferred roosting trees...I have also noticed they vary from Spring to Fall seasons...I have birds that roost in trees in one spot during the Fall and break up and scatter to other trees in the Spring, but it stays the same each year for the most part...if not a specific tree, then a certain ridge area.

g8rvet

I would say on private or low pressure areas, you are more right.  On public WMA with lots of pressure, he is.  At least where I hunt in FL (easterns).  Take out the human factor and you are definitely more right.  If you are just talking about spring birds, on the private and public places  I have hunted with low to moderate pressure, they tended to roost in the same areas, year to year.  Pre season the same is true in a high pressure WMA that I hunt.  Once the crowd shows up, the birds disperse widely. 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

Spurs

I have a spot that I would be willing to put money down in January that a bird will be roosted in a single tree by turkey season every year.

I also have another spot, that (when it had birds) I wouldn't put a dollar to a donut that a bird will be on the place on a day to day basis.  It seemed like your friend would have been right there, like the birds just wondered around with no objective at all.
This year is going to suck!!!

shaman

I can't say turkeys will absolutely hit the same tree, but with minor variation, I have seen flocks roost in the same spot for 14 years. That's how long I've been on my farm.

So who's right?  You both are.  Terrain dictates a lot of turkey behavior.  They are a lot like bass, and you can use the same structure fishing ideas and apply them to turkeys.  I have features on my property that have not changed in 150 years. Turkeys were loafing, roosting, strutting,and dusting in those spots probably 150 years ago.  I give my turkeys nicknames, but I know from year to year it may not be the same bird. The Mister Natural that struts in one pasture is not the same one from 2002 .  On the other hand, he seems to be doing the same thing.

The same goes for roost trees.  It may be the exact same tree and it may not.  It will be within a stone's throw of the same tree.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries  of SW Bracken County, KY 
Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer