turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Who's gone from a 12ga to a 20ga?

Started by TheSportsman, March 20, 2015, 03:01:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheSportsman

Have you felt under gunned or felt like it handicapped you? I've always shot 12ga with 3.5" loads. Not too long ago, I bought my wife a sx3 nwtf 20ga. Put a ff2 on it and got a pure gold tempest .570. I sighted it in and it throws a very impressive pattern w/ federal 3" heavyweight 7s at 40yds.

I hunt lots of govt land and am now considering carrying this gun due to weight, handling, etc.

I've never taken a bird with heavyweight 7s but rumor is they are tough on birds.

Any thoughts? Comments?

BowBendr

I dont feel the least bit under-gunned using a 20.
As you mentioned, putting together a 20 that will cleanly kill a bird at 40 is very easy to do, components for these guns are only getting better and better.
I've got a great 12 but it doesn't see much action anymore.

Sent from Gobblers Knob, NC

jdub2041

1 of my best turkey decision I think ive made. The 20's are light and very deadly with the right shell/choke combo. I shoot a puregold temp. .555 with hevi 7's and fed hwy, getting in the 170s w/ hevi and 140s w/ fed

zelmo1

:z-winnersmiley: I am setting up a 20 to use this year, we shall see

jordanz7935

Those sx3's are really nice turkey guns. I dont feel undergunned @ all. I have 12's and 20's but im more apt to grab the 870 20ga just because its so much lighter and is absolutely deadly with HW #7s. I shoot 3.5" Longbeard #5s out of my 935 and it patterns great too. Comparing pellet counts of my 2 loads in 12 and 20ga They are about equal. 340 lead #5s in the win LB load vs 337 Heavyweight #7s in the 20 ga. You might never want to carry your 12 again.Those shells take a 20 ga to a whole new level IMO.Sounds like you already have a killer setup.

Tom Foolery

Youth 870 20 gauge user here stoked with HW7's or H13 6's or 7's.  I don't feel the least bit under gunned.  I do like the light and easy handling of the 20 gauge.

chatterbox

My next turkey gun will be a 20, no doubt.
My son's little 20 will do anything my 12 will do.

Crappiepro

Im using a Mossberg 500 20ga/ Tight-Wad / and the HW #7
Ive been gonna do it for the last couple of years and this years the year!

county hunter

^I am with you all, giving the 20ga a chance this year, going to pattern it next week

the Ward

I went the other "weigh," a 12 to a 10!   :fud:

7shooter

A lot of the 20 gauge guns I have looked at and own are as heavy as some of the 12's I own. I think it comes down to what size shot you prefer, if you like 7's  then you will be happy with a 20.  They are deadly ! I have a H&R pump set up with a red dot scope for my son, it is heavy for a 20 gauge and it helps reduce the recoil.  It throws a wicked pattern with Hevi13 7's but is nowhere near as dense as the 2 oz loads in my 12 gauge guns.

USMC0331

Quote from: the Ward on March 21, 2015, 10:43:35 AM
Which 10 did you go with and what is your set up?

Gooserbat

I am starting to mess with TSS, and I'm sure a 20 is in my future.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

the Ward

Quote from: USMC0331 on March 21, 2015, 11:07:58 AM
Quote from: the Ward on March 21, 2015, 10:43:35 AM
Which 10 did you go with and what is your set up?
I don't want to hi-jack the O.P.'s thread, but it's a Bps 10 26" barrel with a Pure Gold.680  shooting Remington HD hevi #6s  with a mossy oak bottomland camo wrap. Got big plans to have it d&t for burris 336/ff3 combo and get a spare barrel to cut to 20" when finances permit.

owlhoot

Use both , depends on where hunting and the day.
just like multiple guns.