OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

choke and loads for h&r pardner pump

Started by hrpp20, March 20, 2015, 11:24:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hrpp20

For my first year of turkey hunting I'll be hitting the field with an H&R pardner pump 20ga. My question is directed towards any one who has used one before: what choke did you find worked best and what loads? Trying to save money by avoiding trial and error. I've already bought an hs strut undertaker choke tube and Winchester double x #5. Any better suggestions?

Swampchickin234

Undertaker .582 non ported high density choke, fed hw 7 11/2 ounce load in a 26 inch barrel ran great.   

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hrpp20

I tried to pattern today with t he undertaker/Winchester double x combo I mentioned above... The pattern was absolute garbage. Now that I have done some reading on this and other forums, it seems I made a mistake buying a lead-only choke tube for my 20ga. Most 20 gaugers are taking about #7 heavyweight shot. Should I try to find lead shot that will work or would I be better off sending the tube back to gander mountain to exchange for undertaker's high density version of the tube? Or should I look for a different brand altogether?

Izzyjoe

I'm not sure what kind of chokes the pardners take, but if it's Rem chokes find a Primos tight wad .570, and get yourself some Fed. HW #7's, and the rest is history!

surehuntsalot

Quote from: Izzyjoe on March 20, 2015, 08:24:56 PM
I'm not sure what kind of chokes the pardners take, but if it's Rem chokes find a Primos tight wad .570, and get yourself some Fed. HW #7's, and the rest is history!

another vote on the primos tightwad choke, can't beat it for 20.00
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

BigPimpin

I just set one up for funsies.  Polished the barrel per the sticky and got choked by Sumtoy.  HW #7s put up 166 in the 10@40.  Had to get the pro series magnum gobble dot sights to get it on paper.  Also, getting a swivel stud in the mag cap was a pain.
I'd rather be Drivin' > Disco.

hrpp20

Quote from: BigPimpin on March 27, 2015, 11:14:22 PM
I just set one up for funsies.  Polished the barrel per the sticky and got choked by Sumtoy.  HW #7s put up 166 in the 10@40.  Had to get the pro series magnum gobble dot sights to get it on paper.  Also, getting a swivel stud in the mag cap was a pain.

Yea sights are being difficult for me too. I got the basic stick-on style tru-glo sights and I thought I did a good job of lining the rear sight up using the groves in rib... Until I got to the range. Fortunately mine came with a swivel stud already in it.

dawei

Before you spend a lot of money on new chokes, and Hevi•Shot® or Heavyweight® ammunition I would recommend you you try the following two Pb loads...
• Federal® Premium® Flitecontrol® Mag-Shok® 3" Mag 1185fps 1 5/16oz #5 shot (#PFC258F)
• Remington® NITRO-TURKEY™ 3" Mag 1185fps 1¼oz #5 Shot (#NT20M5)

David

Only two defining forces ever died for you.
1. Jesus Christ.
2. The American Soldier, Sailor, Airman, and Marine.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

1Cross+3Nails=4Given

Izzyjoe

They would be worth trying, but I don't think the Rem nitro turkey will get you where you want to go.

ouachitamtnman

What thread pattern do these take again?  Is it Mossberg 500
Defending God is like defending a lion...he don't need your help...just open the cage

hrpp20

Quote from: ouachitamtnman on April 01, 2015, 04:52:11 PM
What thread pattern do these take again?  Is it Mossberg 500
Yes its the same as Mossberg and Winchester

ouachitamtnman

I've been setting this gun up for my kids. Here is the gun, shell and 20 and 30 yard pattern. Choke is an H.S. Strut Undertaker.

This was with a dirty barrel after shooting 9, 2 3/4s getting the scope sighted. I'm going to try and polish the barrel per the sticky.
Defending God is like defending a lion...he don't need your help...just open the cage