OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Which choke for my setup?

Started by kdsberman, March 20, 2015, 01:05:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kdsberman

Hey guys. I have an 835 with a Jellyhead choke shooting Nitro H517 4x5x7.  I get good patterns with this setup but was planning on getting an IC after talking with several of you last year and seeing "ILIKEHEVI13"s results shooting straight 7's.  I was wondering though since I am not shooting straight 7s would I be really gaining anything or possibly getting a worse pattern with the IC.  Not sure if I'm gonna go to 7's next year or stay with the H517s.  Has anyone actually patterned this exact setup with both the jellyhead and IC?

Thanks guys!

bbcoach

I'm sure other 835 shooters will chime in but I love the 7's.  I shoot the older 7's (300325 and 300525) though a .670 Pure Gold and get 300+ in 10 at 40 with them.  The 835 does really well with chokes in the .670-.676 range.  The IC, Sumtoy, SSX and Stardot are a few that shoot the Hevi's and Longbeards very well.  I haven't shot TSS though my 835 but the 7's dropped a South Dakota bird last May at 38 yards and the bird never moved when I pulled the trigger.  When my 7's are gone, I have a supply of Longbeard 6's to go in the pipe.  Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

kdsberman

Thanks bbcoach.  I have like 4-5 shells of H517 left, but do still want to get some 7's.  I just thought I remember reading somewhere that Nitro 4x5x7 shells liked a little larger constrictions so I didnt know if someone has experience shooting this load through both chokes.