turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

turkey hunting Q's?

Started by harvester, February 09, 2011, 09:06:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

harvester

How would you rate yourself as an experienced turkey hunter (0-10)? Was there someone to show you the ropes? And How long have you been chasing those ole longbeards? Do you think that you could go anywhere and kill a bird without little to NO help?? This is just for fun, so if you would like to add to this feel free to do so. Its kinda interesting to me how people rate themselves as hunters.

Been hunting them since I was bout 14, best that I can remember. Kinda learned almost everything on my own, did hunt with a couple of friends that showed me a couple of things, like carrying a pair of pruners to make setups. I would say between and on the scale of between 6-7. I think my chances would be fairly good.

gob09

a guy i used to work with was belly aching about working every sat.in the spring BC he wanted to hunt turkey's. he talked about it all the time and about how fun and challenging it is .around  that time rick and i were talking about getting into something we could do together so i suggested that we try turkey hunting Kenny talked like it was the greatest thing to do.

so we started researching and talking to everyone we could about it. no one really showed us anything but we caught on pretty quick and learned how to scout and look for birds from OG.everyone told us not to quit if we didn't kill a bird the first year.
  the first season was good to us i for one said if i dint at least get close to getting a bird the first season likely will be my last i killed a little jake opening day of 2009 season .the next week we got a double and the next week we almost got another double but rick left his gun at home.
i killed a nice tom that evening i almost tagged out that year and last year. rick did tag out last year  i would not consider myself a good turkey hunter just lucky on a 1-10 I'd put myself at about a 4-5

only if the conditions are right could i kill a tom anywhere still working on a public land bird god has blessed us with this great game bird to hunt thank you lord for that privilege

mfd1027

Been hunting em for over 40 yrs. and I've had quite a bit of success.     
Dan

keyser12ga

A guy from my dad's work invited me hunting in the spring of 1990 or around then.  I was so pumped, my dad never hunted but I had always hunted for rabbits in the backyard with my red indian youth bow.  We headed out that morning and drove for a few hours, and upon arriving to our destination, realized I'd left my youth license at home. So it was a day of scouting/learning. The guy hooted and we heard a bird gobble and off we went.  We sat until I heard the flydown.  Spent the day learning about sign, how to call, and even called in a pair of jakes myself on a box. Plus we found a bunch of morels.  At the end of the day we met up with another friend of his that asked me if I'd ever fired a 10ga, I said no, and learned the hard way not to have that gun against my shoulder while pressed firmly against a tree.   My dad took me to the Indiana Chapter convention that year and that was the last of turkey hunting.  I hunted everything in between, ran a trap line for a couple years, but never went back after turkey.  Primarily it was because in all my other hunting I had not seen one, didn't know where to go, and no longer knew anyone that went.  I still had calls from way back then that I would break out and mess with periodically.

In the fall of 2010, a friend of mine invited me to hunt one of his relatives properties for fall turkey.  It was spur of the moment, and I wasn't very well prepared, I borrowed a shotgun (mine had a fixed skeet choke and wouldn't pattern well) so I put a few shells through it at a turkey target and went.  That day I learned alot!  I had a group of mixed hens/jakes come through that sounded like no turkeys I'd ever heard, they were squalking and making all sorts of ruckus.  I couldn't get a good shot so I waited for them to work up the ridge behind me and then I learned about movement and turkeys, ha.  I thought I was turning slowly to get into position (they were now behind me) and the whole flock went to the sky instantly.  On the way out I saw a jake that was moving away from me and it was just before legal sunset.  He suprised me, and I took aim and missed. 

After that experience, I was hooked.  I looked for everything I could about turkey hunting and found this site.  Reading this site, I realized my pattern I had hunted with was terrible.  So I bought a turkey gun.  I spent the rest of the fall/winter learning my calls thanks in part to the local callmaker I told you about.  I patterned my gun, found the best pattern, and scouted public land.  Praise the Lord I was able to call in my first bird hunting by myself last spring after 3 days of hunting in the rain.  This fall I went out and was able to call in my second bird on a mouth call.  I believe I'm hooked for life now and hope to pass it on to my kids.

That being said, I'm a "1"

unclerick

Quote from: gob09 on February 09, 2011, 09:44:05 AM
a guy i used to work with was belly aching about working every sat.in the spring BC he wanted to hunt turkey's. he talked about it all the time and about how fun and challenging it is .around  that time rick and i were talking about getting into something we could do together so i suggested that we try turkey hunting Kenny talked like it was the greatest thing to do.

so we started researching and talking to everyone we could about it. no one really showed us anything but we caught on pretty quick and learned how to scout and look for birds from OG.everyone told us not to quit if we didn't kill a bird the first year.
  the first season was good to us i for one said if i dint at least get close to getting a bird the first season likely will be my last i killed a little jake opening day of 2009 season .the next week we got a double and the next week we almost got another double but rick left his gun at home.
i killed a nice tom that evening i almost tagged out that year and last year. rick did tag out last year  i would not consider myself a good turkey hunter just lucky on a 1-10 I'd put myself at about a 4-5

only if the conditions are right could i kill a tom anywhere still working on a public land bird god has blessed us with this great game bird to hunt thank you lord for that privilege
What he said.   :icon_thumright:
Before all else fails,talk to Jesus