OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Well worn 870SM

Started by Izzyjoe, March 18, 2015, 11:58:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Izzyjoe

Today I stopped by the local gunsmith to see what was going on, and drop off a 22 rifle to be blued, and I seen a 870 express sm in the rack for repair. That poor shotgun had been though the ringer, I asked if it was there to be reblued, and he said no he just fixed the ejector! The stock look like a beaver cut his teeth on in it, and there was not much matte finish left on it, it had the look of an old battle rifle from WW1! I've seen my share of abused shotguns, but that one takes the cake! He did say the fellow was getting ready for turkey season. No telling how much game has laid down in front of that shotgun.

Snoodsniper

Probably just rattles around under the seat of the truck between seasons. I know of a few like that.

allaboutshooting

Quote from: Izzyjoe on March 18, 2015, 11:58:27 PM
Today I stopped by the local gunsmith to see what was going on, and drop off a 22 rifle to be blued, and I seen a 870 express sm in the rack for repair. That poor shotgun had been though the ringer, I asked if it was there to be reblued, and he said no he just fixed the ejector! The stock look like a beaver cut his teeth on in it, and there was not much matte finish left on it, it had the look of an old battle rifle from WW1! I've seen my share of abused shotguns, but that one takes the cake! He did say the fellow was getting ready for turkey season. No telling how much game has laid down in front of that shotgun.
Those guns were made to be used and I've seen them that looked like they'd been through a war that still worked very well.  A couple of years ago i was in Shooter's Supply and noticed racks and racks of terrible looking 870s that had just been taken in by them. They were police trade-ins. They had not been fired much but carried for years and years in police cars, racks, trunks, etc. and had only minimum cars.

I looked at maybe 10 or 20 of them and none had any wear, just surface damage. They functioned flawlessly. I would not hesitate to buy one. There's really nothing about those guns that can't be easily repaired.

Thanks.
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

Izzyjoe

They are good shotguns, years ago I had a wingmaster that had seen a lot off use, the action would pop open by itself, sometimes it would automatically eject the shell! I got scared of it and did want to any money into it, so I sold it.