turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Anyone Bowfish?

Started by spitndrum, March 23, 2011, 07:30:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

spitndrum

2 different fish BTW the 1st one I didnt kill either my buddy did!

2 gar doubles from 2010 Gar-Ka-Bobs!

browning

I love going for carp!  How heavy was your best?  :icon_thumright:

fallhnt

Ya...after turkey killing is done.Bigheads and silver carp,the ones that jump out of the water.
When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

bowhunter84

i've been a few times and love it :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright:

flintlock

If you must smoke, please use BLACKPOWDER!

archery1

awesome// i do this at the local mudd creek around here.. i have gotten a 23 pounder so far
Take a kid hunting

spitndrum

Quote from: browning on March 23, 2011, 07:49:50 PM
I love going for carp!  How heavy was your best?  :icon_thumright:

3rd pic
22lbs
Grassie

2nd pic was killed by a buddy it weighed 54lbs

TANK

We are suppose to be going a bow fishing trip this summer down on the coast, where the B.P. Oil Spill was............well in the marsh where they was cleaning the grass on CNN with paper towl.

Bonjour

I started late last year, but still got to shoot a lot of fish. I am now addicted and can't wait to get out on the water. The lakes finally thawed out last week and now we have had so much rain that everything is flooded. I might have to go out tomorrow and see if I can find them somewhere in the flooded areas. For those who love to bow hunt, I would strongly recommend trying bowfishing because it is extremely fun, and very good offseason practice. Hopefully I will have some good pics this year for you.

LilFridWV

Looks like fun. I've thought about taking it up. I've seen some huge carp and gnars here by the river.  :you_rock: :z-winnersmiley: :z-winnersmiley:

chcltlabz

I'll see if I can't get some pictures posted up.  We bowfish for Skates (cownose rays) in the bay here. 

Story goes that their only natural predator are sharks and the sharks are being overfished, so we end up with an overpopulation of skates.  They migrate up from saltwater to brackish in the summer and play heck on the shellfish, to include crabs.  We've had them tear up our crabbing lines, eat crabs out of traps and generally just make a huge mess of things.  We decided we'd try bowfishing for them since it was legal.  Water isn't shallow where we are (6 feet or more) so you have to wait for them to surface.  We tried the whole float thing, tried bow mounted reels, but these things are 25-50 pounds.  Pulling them off the bottom is like lifting a bucket full of sand.  We ended up tying the arrow to an ocean spinning reel and heavy action pole.  One guy shoots, the other holds the pole and points it at the fish.  Arrow in, grab the pole and fight the fish.  They'll drag a 19 foot boat 100 yards easy.

We've killed as many as 5 skates while we're crabbing.  It'll wear you out quick.
A veteran is someone who, at one point, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America' for an amount of 'up to and including their life.'

That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.

Basser69

I did until I tore up my elbow and had to retire the compound bow. I slipped to the darkside with a crossbow and have not found a setup for bowfishing......yet

Hoosierhunter

Yes sir and its a blast its a great way to keep tuned up for bow hunting 

Hoosierhunter

Quote from: Basser69 on March 24, 2011, 10:00:26 AM
I did until I tore up my elbow and had to retire the compound bow. I slipped to the darkside with a crossbow and have not found a setup for bowfishing......yet

You're still welcome in my woods I know a lot of guys complain  about them but the way I see it its all about hunting not the bow

strutstopper

Quote from: Basser69 on March 24, 2011, 10:00:26 AM

I would say the items on this page is all you need to bowfish with a crossbow. The only thing I would be worried about is the high poundage and speed of a crossbow, it would make it a pain to get the arrows out of the mud, and it would get ugly if you ever shot a big rock.

http://www.backwaterbowfishing.com/onlinestore/cart.php?m=search_results&search=crossbow