turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Best gobbler for a newbie

Started by jlewis4390, March 18, 2015, 03:20:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jlewis4390

Looking to see what is a good gobble call for a beginner ...I bought the Flextone gobbler a little over a year ago and can't get anything remotely close to a gobble from it ....for some reason I have a problem spending up tucka tucka idk what the deal is but does anyone find this call Hard to work and is there one I would be better off to get that will be easy ...like a haint or hale fire or ?

TauntoHawk

If you have problems with the tucka tucka then I'd rule any air operated you will most likely struggle with them all. Easiest thing to gobble on is a box call, preferably a long box but some short boxes will do the trick just fine.
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

TRG3

While I've hunted turkeys for nearly 30 years, this is my first reply on this website. Concerning gobble tubes, I've had the most success with the Primos. In fact, when I just sounded like a hen and tried to entice the gobbler over to me, I would only kill a tom every 2-3 years even though I would have three permits annually, the limit in Illinois. I read an article by Ray Eye concerning the peck order that exists with both the toms and hens and the fact that if one were to sound like a newcomer that there would be a real strong chance that the "new" turkey would be checked out by the real one. Once I started using a gobble tube (just shake it), I've been able to take three gobblers annually over the past decade. My technique is to set up with my Pretty Boy or Funky Chicken some 200 yards from the roosted birds, answering with tree yelps (I've used the same mouth calls for the past 8 years!) as the real turkeys begin to sound off at daylight. After about 10 minutes, I'll answer the real gobbler with my Primos gobble tube, sometimes cutting the real bird off with my gobbles or even double gobbling. Once the real tom flies down, it's not unusual for the hens to take him in another direction. No problem, just realize that you'll be sitting there an hour or two waiting for those hens to finally head off to their nests, leaving the tom alone. Since I hen yelp and gobble every 15-20 minutes, he knows where the new gobbler is located and that there's some hens there as well. Expect the real gobbler to come in silently as he checks out the intruder. Last year it took four days to bag three birds and the year before it took five days. Best of luck in your turkey hunting.

jlewis4390

TRG3 thanks for response I appreciate it and it helps me out alot ...I am gonna try to get me a shaker and maybe a haint or something to try before season comes in on the 20th

coyote1

x2 on the primos. Very easy call to operate.

BABS9

Get yourself a gobble tube. Very easy to operate. Couple birds I have killed the past few years I never would have gotten a chance at them without it. Never go to the woods without one.

TRG3

I forgot to add that I do set up a hen in the breeding position just in front of the gobbler decoy and another in the feeding position some 10 feet away. In fact, I even made my own gobbler decoy from a five-gallon black bucket by attaching a binder clip to the bucket's bottom into which went a gobbler fan. Binder clips went on either side of the black bucket to which dried wings were attached, making it look like the gobbler was dragging them in the strut position. A short piece of 2X4 was notched so as to snap across the opening of the bucket to simulate the head. My wife painted this piece of wood to resemble a tom with all of the colors present during the breeding season. A short piece of frayed rope spray painted black gave the 2X4 a jake's beard. To keep this decoy on a standing position, two holes were drilled to allow a portion of a broom stick with a nail in it to pass through the hole in the bottom but just the head of the nail through the other on top. I used this decoy to take two different gobblers, one with my 11 gauge flintlock fowler and the other with my 20 gauge flintlock fusil. In both cases, the toms attacked bucket bird! And one last thing...all of the decoy parts can be carried in the five-gallon bucket, making transportation easy.  Enjoy your turkey hunting and be sure to share any tricks of the trade that you learn.

grayfox

Get you a Red Wolf gobble shaker.  They work really good & sound like the real deal.