OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Not good

Started by big bore 45/70, March 15, 2015, 05:46:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

big bore 45/70

Just shot my Stevens mod 94
Tryed fed.3" #5 shot  fired @ 34yds got
27 hits inside the l2" circle of the turkey
Target.
With the hornady 3" #5 I got 59 hits
I am taking this gun to my LGS. And trading it in..

darn2ten

How big a piece of paper or cardboard are you shooting at? Even with that shotgun at 34 yds. you should have a lot more than 27 hits in a 12" circle. Oh, and the Hornady turkey loads are the worst I have ever seen. The best thing you could do with those is save them for varnmits around the house. Shoot a big, at least 3'x3' and check your point of aim. If I'm thinking right those 94's are single shot fixed choke guns, right? I'm sure you could do much better with a interchangable choke gun, but with the right load and maybe limiting your shots to a little shorter range you could get by. Give the Winchester Longbeards a try, good luck. Oh, if your barrel is like a fixed mod. or improved cyl. maybe consider trying the Federal flight control wad loads.

big bore 45/70

Its a fixed choke .680
And a 32" long barrel  , it was at a quaker boy turkey target.
I have other shotguns.I can use and I have got turkey s
With this in the past at closer range's.
I was hopeing to see better targets than this.
Time for it to go.
Thanks for the help.

snapper1982

Better fire a few longbeards before you trade it off

big bore 45/70

I just gave this gun one more chance.only because my gun shop is closed on Mondays
I had to pickup some more targets and I seen a box of fed.
Prairie storm #5 3"  with some kind of flight control wad.
So out I go put up a target in my shotgun tree.
What A Big diff. I aimed a little low and that is ware the
Most shot went  down in the Turkey's body instead of the neck
.It put 43 pellets in the body with great pattern and 79 would have been in the 12"  circle
If I held up ware I should.
So it looks like I have to keep her.
Thanks again for the info. :turkey2:

snapper1982

Try a few lb and bet it gets better

big bore 45/70

I will look them up and give it a go for sure.
PS .
I just took my uncle's old 20 ga. Mossberg bolt action out
Past off 26 yds. Loaded up with win. Double x. Mag.

#5  2 & 3/4"   I took a pic of it I will see if I can post a pic. On here.

deadbuck

Those are some odd yardages you are shooting at. Hard to make a judgment or compare to accepted norms. Shoot 40 and see what it does.

big bore 45/70

What's the norm for new shotguns with custom super tight screw in chokes
I don't think is the same as a shotgun made in the late 1950's
Early 1960's. With fixed chokes.
That's like putting a 1954 corvette on a track with a 2015
Roush mustang that's supercharged. There bought sports cars.
Running the same track.

BINK McCARTY

Ok...so chuck the turkey head targets,get a 4'x4' piece of cardboard or paper,shoot Win.Long Beard #6 shot.Start @ 30yds. then go to 40yds. AFTER you shoot at the CENTER of the BLANK target draw a 10"circle around the most dense part of your shot. Ifn the # in either of your 10"circles fall below 100 hits then you have found your limit....THIS is what the "standard" is today with ANY rig....ifn the #s are quite above 100 hits in 10" (which ill bet a shiny new nickel they wont be) then move back in 5yd. increments til' your hits fall below 100. Still not satisfied....trade it in,or hunt with one of your other shotguns. Hope this and all the other recommendations help!!!!

Gobspur

^^^ What he said. Shoot some Longbeards #6.  And shoot at some large targets so you can see where your shot is going.  Adjust accordingly.   Limit shots to the yardage you get 100 hits in 10 inch circle.

Oconeeguy

Clean it good first, real good. I ALWAYS start with a deep cleaned barrel, then shoot one shell after the other (from same box) until i have a feel that the pattern will continue to degrade. That is usually several shots. My Browning pump shoots some shells best when very clean. My Remington 11-87 shoots it's densest Federal heavyweight pattern on the second shot.

So try several shots in a row after you clean the barrel well. Use big paper too.