turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Shell/ choke with 835

Started by Browning85, March 15, 2015, 03:33:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Browning85

I know there is some other threads that have covered some of this but the guys that are shooting just 835's what is the best choke/ shell combo you have found. I just picked up an 835 and would like to get it set up for another turkey gun even though it won't be my primary one. Just trying to see what you guys are having the best luck with.

allaboutshooting

Quote from: Browning85 on March 15, 2015, 03:33:54 PM
I know there is some other threads that have covered some of this but the guys that are shooting just 835's what is the best choke/ shell combo you have found. I just picked up an 835 and would like to get it set up for another turkey gun even though it won't be my primary one. Just trying to see what you guys are having the best luck with.

The 835 was one of the guns I used in the evaluation of 6 different guns and 32 chokes, all with the 3" WLB shells with 1.75 oz. of #6 shot. Those findings were published in the March/April issue of Turkey Country magazine.

To get right to the point and answer your question directly the choke that gave the highest numbers was the Hevi-13, second was the SSX with the JEBs and Mossberg X-Factor, 3rd and 4th. All frankly were excellent, none had any 2" or more gaps and all put up good numbers. All shots were fired in the low 50s, so all would do much better and put up higher numbers in warmer temps.

All those chokes have also done well with the 3" Hevi-13 shells with 2 oz. of #6 shot. I'll publish those findings soon.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

drum817

I've owned a 835 for several years.  This year I shot a SumToy .675 & Winchester 3.5" #4's the patterns are devastating!!! ( see the pattern section of the forum).  Good luck!
"Freedom Has Never Been Free"

cjr1

I've used 3 1/2" Mag Blends for the past several years using an Indian Creek choke. I've not gone to the trouble of patterning that some of these guys have. BUt, I did polish the barrel and deep clean it once a year.

I did try some LB #6 in 3 1/2 last weekend and was very pleased with the pattern. If I run out of Mag Blends this year, I'll have no problem using these.

taylorjones20

We patterned my cousins 835 with a Rob Roberts .675 / Longbeard 3.5" #5 and Mag Blends. The Long Beards were very impressive with that choke.
Alive only by the Grace Of God

LARRYHAYNES

You can check out some of my patterns in the other board but man I'm using an Indian Creek .675 with hevi shot #7s and getting great patterns and numbers.
LARRY

BowBendr

Get any choke from .675 thru .690 and try the LongBeard #4's.
The 835 is a flat out stud with the 4's and really doesnt seem to have a choke preference.
Just about any variation of 835 + LB's = Dead toms

Sent from Gobblers Knob, NC

Browning85

Thanks for the info guys. I run an Indian creek with my 1187 right now and am pleased with the pattern. I just would like to get this 835 throwing some great patterns as well.

Xcal1ber

I have found that in my 835 the combo that threw the best pattern at 40 yards was the Truglo SSX and the Hevi Shot 3.5inch #6's. I based this pattern off of numbers, but more importantly the evenness of it was outstanding. At 40 yards there is really no where a turkey could move his head where he wouldn't take a face and neck full of shot. For the money though I would definitely try the Long Beards first. I have seen them do awesome in every gun my friends, and guys on this forum have put them through. I just have so many Hevi Shot I never did worry about trying the Long Beards lol.
He shouldn't ought done'nat........ He dead.

ThunderChickenGetter

My 835 shoots great with an Indian Creek .675 and longbeard 3.5" #6s

petemoss83

I've tried the Hevi-13 choke, the Carlson win Long beard choke, the truglo ssx, the Indian creek, and the factory choke in my 835 and the best and most consistent choke so far has been the Hevi-13 choke. My current set up is with the Hevi-13 choke and Winchester long beard #4's . 100 hit patterns (in a ten") to 55 yds. I don't see alot a whole lot on this choke in most forums. Most popular chokes I see are Indian creek, pure gold, start dot, ssx, and maybe a few others. But with my gun so far the Hevi-13 choke and long beards are right there with the best of them.

chatterbox

SSX .675 and Hevi-13 3-2-7.
Love this combo! :icon_thumright:

ThunderChickenGetter

Just finished patterning my 835 with a .675 Indian Creek and longbeard 3.5" 4s. Talking about rocking a thunder chickens world! Those 4s shoot awesome out of the 835s

ThunderChickenGetter

In 55 degree weather and no wind my gun put 153 4s in the 10 at 40yds.

Bowguy

Quote from: Browning85 on March 16, 2015, 08:48:03 PM
Thanks for the info guys. I run an Indian creek with my 1187 right now and am pleased with the pattern. I just would like to get this 835 throwing some great patterns as well.
from what I've seen in the 835s I own n have helped pattern, it doesn't take much. It's a great gun. Mine is old, bought it right after the ultimate turkey Hunter book by Knight n Hale came out. I had read the book w zero intent on another gun. Had an 11-87 shooting great and and SP-10 shooting better. Went to the range for one more check on the 10 and the bolt exploded. Tomo was opening day. Went to go buy another 10 since my than wife was shooting the 11-87. I needed a gun, the salesman a friend showed me the ulti mag. I bought it, patterened it w the factory choke. It outdid my 10. I've never used the ten since. Am gonna try the longbeards here soon so I msy experiment but I bet you'd be pleasantly surprised when you shoot it. Great gun