OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Winchester turkey loads?

Started by RAY, March 13, 2015, 11:15:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RAY

I shoot a MOSSBERG 835 and have exclusively shot Winchester 3.5" copper plated #5 Supremes (black shells) with great success. As a matter of fact I've shot these shells out of my Benelli SBE and my Winchester SX2 with the same great results. My problem is I'm not seeing them around much. I do see the Winchester Double XX Magnum loads. In the past these were the red shells. They did not pattern the same as the Supreme black shells. Not near as good. So I opened a box of Double XX at the store, and they were black shells! Did Winchester discontinue the Supremes? Or possibly switch over? Thanks in advance.

Tom Foolery

Winchester renamed their ammo after they came out with the Longbeards I think.

Check the velocity on the box, as long as it's the same as the old HV loads you're good to go.  I'm pretty sure the new XX is the old HV load.

Dtrkyman

From what I have seen on all the reports I would get a box of longbeards, I have not shot them but from what I have seen with the 100s of threads about them on many forums they vastly out perform the other lead loads!

Izzyjoe

I have a box of both, supreme HV, and Double XX's and they have the same stock number. STH1234. But if it at all possible get a box of LB's and try them, you won't be sorry,

owlhoot

With the sales of the long beards increasing now as more hunters hear about them, you may have to wonder if some of the older loads may get dropped.
If you like some of them , you might consider stocking up.

Gooserbat

Before I got to excited I'd try Longbeards, you might get excited about you new shell instead of the old.  I picked up 80+ pellets in the 10" over my old lead load.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.