OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Full Circle

Started by StrutStopper_71, March 13, 2015, 08:09:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

StrutStopper_71

Youth season open's here in Florida in the morning. The first of the week I got a text from a young man that lives down the road from my parents. The text said he and his dad hadn't heard a bird in two weeks and wanted to know if I had heard any and I told him I had heard a few. Well long stroy short his dad is sick and I told him I would take him this weekend but the weather is supposed to be bad but we are going anyway.

What makes it come full circle is his dad is the one that took me turkey hunting for the first time when I was a kid, and taught me a lot now im pushing 30 and taking his son with me. I am super excited to go he has been sending texts with pictures of patterns he has shot this week and has asked me three different times what time I'm picking him up in the morning  His dad is a sure enough Turkey killer and for him to think enough of me to tell his son to ask if I could take him means a lot. I don't know who is more excited me or him.

taylorjones20

That's awesome!  Hope ya'll get to spend some quality time together and hopefully a bonus of bringing a turkey home.  I still remember the first turkey I ever killed was with a guy I go to church with.   Awesome experience!  Good Luck!!!
Alive only by the Grace Of God

Chilly

That's a cool story.  Yall good luck.
Can't kill'em from the couch!!!!

boomer

Awesome. Good luck!!!

guesswho

If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

the Ward

That's really cool! Good luck!

mgm1955

Great story and have an awesome hunt!!

Spitten and drummen

That's really cool. It not only makes you feel better , that kid will have that memory for the rest of his life and years down the road may be posting on here about the kid he is taking.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

Jim K

That's great. I hope you have a great hunt. Two seasons ago, my friend went on a trip out of state and was upset he wouldn't be around to take his grandson out opening day. I told him that I would take him out. The week before the season ,he was texting me while I was scouting asking me what I was hearing. He was at fever pitch by opening day. Opening day we set up on 4 birds. I knew it was two jakes and two longbeards. The jakes came in first and he shot one. We were both so excited. We took him down to my shop and then went back out. We got set up on another and I got my best Pa bird ever. It was the best hunt ever for me. My bird was icing on the cake. I was more excited about his jake. And his grandfather was very appreciative that I took him. It was very rewarding. I hope you have a great time with the young man.

owlhoot

Great story and good luck :icon_thumright:

zelmo1

:z-winnersmiley: This hunt is a memory waiting to happen. I got to call one in and witness my hunting buddies daughter kill her first bird last year, it was a lifetime memory. It was the biggest bird our group killed all year! You are both very lucky, GOOD LUCK

StrutStopper_71

Thanks every body for all the good luck wishes! He got it done this morning on public land about 9:15. We had to watch and listen to him on a big power line for over an hour  and he finally got right and he was able to put a hurting on him! One dead gobble and one super excited young man and I know I haven't been that excited since I killed my first bird it was an awesome hunt and a great way to start the season!

10.5 inch beard
1 inch hooks
21.5 lbs. 

Real good bird for a Fl public land bird but I don't think it would have mattered how big he was it was awesome! We are going back after another in the morning!

tomstopper

Gut Pile

Great story and great bird !!!

about the best religion can possibly do, is maybe make you a nice person, where as a relationship with Jesus Christ can make you a new creation

owlhoot