OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

TSS#9's Didn't shoot to good!!

Started by Rudy27325, March 12, 2015, 10:27:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rudy27325

870 w/ 21inch barrel, with a 570 jelly head choke, 102 in a 10' circle, 20' circle 210, at 40 yards. What you guys think?

surehuntsalot

102 with TSS 9's don't sound very good at all from some of the pic's I've seen on here
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

msgobblergetter

I've seen this when Mylar wrap in load was either not used or not inserted correctly. Double check your handloading procedure, including shot payload weight.

Rudy27325

The load was 1 5/8 oz. #9's...was hope to get around 150 in the 10' circle at 40 yards.

cutt down

Message sandman he has it figured out.

01Foreman400

What load are you shooting?  Stubby or XL?
Huntin Fool From Georgia!

01Foreman400

Quote from: msgobblergetter on March 12, 2015, 10:54:26 PM
I've seen this when Mylar wrap in load was either not used or not inserted correctly. Double check your handloading procedure, including shot payload weight.

How do you put the mylar in wrong?

Dr Juice

Rudy27325

Someone else loaded them.. not me....XL load is what he said

01Foreman400

Hard to say then what went wrong.  how does his gun shoot and how long has he been loading TSS?

Tinman22

I've heard that the Jellyheds dont do well with the TSS loads, but with that being said, something is way wrong.

My dad has the exact same gun, but with a remington super full turkey choke. With the same 1 5/8 load this weekend he got 287 in a 10" circle with a dirty barrel, and 305 with a clean barrel at a lasered 40yds...

Sand Man

Something is definitely wrong.  I've built 8 going on 9 21" barrel 870's, and I've yet to have one shoot less than 300 in the 10 with my TSS hand loads.

Barrel isn't bent is it?   :funnyturkey:

Let the little twenty EAT!!!!

gophert

Something is not right.  It would be helpful to see the pattern.  My first thought is that you have oil or something in the barrel.  I would run some alcohol swabs down the barrel and make sure its good and dry and re-shoot.  I have seen crazy low#'s when this occurs. I don't think the jellyhead is your problem.  You should be easy getting 250+ even with the Jellyhead.  If you are chasing the kind of numbers 300+...don't wast your time...go buy and IC .555 and be done with it. 

PM me if you have specific questions about the load you are shooting.

gophert

Quote from: Rudy27325 on March 12, 2015, 10:56:51 PM
The load was 1 5/8 oz. #9's...was hope to get around 150 in the 10' circle at 40 yards.

Oh and you are WAY underestimating your potential. 

Rudy27325

The gun was cleaned the night before, no oil it barrel, it was 62deg. when I shot it. Can somebody tell me how to post a picture? so I can get some Help. Thanks