OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

When would you go to Nebraska for Merriam's?

Started by Joe2Kool, March 12, 2015, 08:41:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe2Kool

Any recommendations on when to go to Nebraska?  I hunted Merriam's around Chadron in mid-May, 2010.  Trying to make it happen again this year.

Blong

neal

Mid May, but really anytime is good there, the terain lets you hunt them even if they are hened up some. Not really a bad time to go, if you have the land to hunt.

Neal
Hooks Custom Calls Prostaff member

NWTF Diamond life member, Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation Life Member, NWTF Nationals Hunting Call Competition Judge, Hooks custom calls striker builder, WI, MN & IA State Friction Calling Champion.

hobbes

Quote from: Treerooster on March 13, 2015, 11:01:35 AM
Last week of April, first week of May. That's when the hens usually start their laying. If I couldn't be very flexible I would plan the first week of May. If I could be flexible, I would plug in a town near where I wanted to go in my weather app and watch the weather. If its a warm spring I'd go earlier, cool spring I would go later.

Treerooster makes a good suggestion.  Ive heard the most gobbling in early May but we killed most of our birds in late May.  Most of our NW Nebraska hunts have been Memorial day weekend.  My one time in April resulted in a cold and snowy hunt so I've stuck to May since then and usually waited until my resident season was over.  I have had some really warm days with crazy tick numbers, but we just keep covering ground until we find one that wants to play.

My preference would be first two weeks of May.

870FaceLift

Dang, I hate to hear this about May being ideal.  Headed to NW NE April 20th-26th myself.  Oh well, we can weather a little snow.  Looks like beautiful country to take in nonetheless.  Good luck Joe2Kool  :icon_thumright:
Pass it on...

Gobbler2577

I'll be there the 18th-21st of April.  Schedules wouldn't permit going later.  Sure beats not going.

hobbes

You'll be fine in April.  May is just my preference.   As warm as MT has been an early warm up is entirely possible. Or.......the skies fill with clouds and we get the snow we missed in winter during spring. 

Be prepared for cold mornings and the possibiility of snow and hope for warm weather (at least warm afternoons).  Doesn't get much better than gobbling Merriams warming you on crisp morning.

fallhnt

If you hunt private anytime. Public...best wait for flocks to break up.
When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

Crawl79

Not for Merriams but hunting Nebraska I look for first or second week of May. Seems like the locals are done on public by then and the hens are nesting.

Northerner

Birds were still gobbling their fool heads off in this weather.  This was 2 years ago in the same area.

midmslongbeard

Me and my dad went a few years ago late May and had great hunts tagged out in two days. Including our first double

Blong

I have been the last week of May for 5 years. They act like ours do in mid April, it is good!