turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Diaphragm calls and toothpicks?

Started by Marc, March 11, 2015, 10:36:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marc

I have read on this forum, and been told by call makers to use plastic toothpicks to put in between the latex of the diaphragm calls...

Is there any reason I should not use wooden toothpicks?
If you have a 3-diaphragm call, would you use 2 toothpicks so you could put one between each piece of latex?
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

ThunderChickenGetter

I use the tips of plastic forks because they're not as sharp as toothpicks and are less likely to poke a hole in the latex. I do put one between each piece of latex on my 3 Reed calls, not sure if it matters with the bottom two but I always have.

Marc

Thanx...  Just broke off some forks, and stuck em' in my calls...  I could easily get them between the cut latex and the adjacent piece, but I could not seem to get one in between the two other pieces...
Did I do that?

ThunderChickenGetter

Also if you're not already doing it, keeping them in the fridge while not in use will keep the latex tight. And yeah getting one between the bottom pieces can sometimes be a pain.

Spitten and drummen

I just take a Copenhagen can and clean it out. then get a small make up sponge and put in it. saturate the sponge with mouthwash. place calls in canister. reeds never stick. after season , in the fridge they go. I do rinse them off with water after using them during the day. just trying to pass on a tip that works great for me.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

eddie234

I have the reed separators from promos, the work great. I normally wash mine with soap and water after a day of use pat dry with a paper towel let them air dry then use some talcum powder to put back on the laytex. Just like new. Stored in the fridge that way when not in use. I'd be careful of bacteria if left damp all the time.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

hoyt

I've got calls way over 10yrs old and they all sound just as good as new. I just keep them in a snuff or Altoids can with two thin sponges..one on bottom and one on top of calls..with very little Scope mouthwash and water.

I always run warm water down towards the reeds (with enough force to open the layers..afterwards make sure a cut has not folded back by running water the opposite direction) after a hunt and then put them in fridge. Unless I'm camping and away from running water, then I just keep them moist. After season is over I put them in plastic cups with lids fill with water and  then freeze.

The only calls I've had go bad are real thin latex that I blew out when calling with lots of force..don't use those real thin reeds anymore.. or calls I've let dry out.

Some mouthwashes with too much alcohol will deteriorate the reeds..watered down Scope has worked well for me. 

Bowguy

Quote from: Spitten and drummen on March 12, 2015, 09:06:51 AM
I just take a Copenhagen can and clean it out. then get a small make up sponge and put in it. saturate the sponge with mouthwash. place calls in canister. reeds never stick. after season , in the fridge they go. I do rinse them off with water after using them during the day. just trying to pass on a tip that works great for me.
thats great advicr n almost exactly what I do, crot the sponge I just rinse in the mouthwash

Triple Gobble

Just use coated paper clips, bend in a v, put
V towards the back, clean with Luke warm water,
And store in a cool dark place like a drawer
Or cabinet, never ever use mouthwash with
Alcohol in it, it will ruin your call
Live your life through Jesus, and life begins!!!!

Gooserbat

Ive got s little different take,  wash with water, use plastic fork teeth as discribed.  Then let them air dry and store in a cool, dark, and dry place. 
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

SCGobbler

I'm with Gooserbat.  That's what I do except I have been trying flat wood coffee stirrers this year.  I typically have used the coated paper clips and I wrap them around the end of a screwdriver so they aren't so pointed and more rounded like the back of the call.
The SC Gobbler

Some men are mere hunters; others are turkey hunters.
                    —Archibald Rutledge

Marc

Thanx for all the replies guys.

Most mouthwash has alcohol in it, won't that degrade the latex? 

I put some calls in the refrigerator last year, and when I took them out the latex was more loose...  I am afraid to put this years calls in the fridge because of that reason.  Has anyone else had this issue?  (Mine are currently in a drawer out of any sunlight).

For the life of me, I cannot seem to get that toothpick or plastic fork piece between the two tighter pieces of latex...  Any tricks to doing this, or just practice?

And, lastly, I am using broken off pieces of a plastic fork, but is there any reason not to use wooden toothpicks?  I always hear that you should use plastic (which I will do), but curiosity has the best of me, and I am wondering why you would not, or should not use wooden ones (such as the flat, dull ones I often see).
Did I do that?

Spitten and drummen

guess it may degrade the latex , but they last me all through season and usually get new ones the following year. I do have a couple that I have used over the last 3 years that are not degraded as far as I can tell. still as lively as ever.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

ThunderChickenGetter

Only reason I can think that a wood one might hurt is is that it could have a splinter sticking out and cut the latex. Other than that I don't see why wood wouldn't work, I've just always used plastic.

Number17

I've used sharp wooden tooth picks with my mouth calls for over 20 years and have never torn a reed.
I separate the top reed only and always use two snapped off pieces of toot pick per call.
I just suck them dry, install tooth picks and store them out of the sun. They go in the refrigerator in the off season. They have lasted many years this way.
#Gun
#Shells
#couple calls