OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Done a lil shooting for the first time

Started by Hootie26, March 11, 2015, 08:15:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hootie26

Done some shooting today with my new 870 super mag turkey with a Down N Dirty choke. Shot just at 20yrds with Federal Heavyweight 6s, Long Beard 6s, Federal Mag Shok 5s, and Mag Blends all 3". The heavyweights didn't shoot worth a nickel. Yet the mag shok and long beards both patterned GREAT! Very imprssed. The mag blends shot good but not quite as good as the long beards or the mag shoks. Gonna do some more shooting when I get some pretty days and go from there.

surehuntsalot

the HW's didn't shoot worth a nickel at 20 yds ???????
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

Hootie26

I'll try and post a pic of the targets tomorrow. I was really wanting the hwts to shoot good too. It was night and day how different they shot

fountain2

anything is going to shoot good at 20.  back on up to 40 and see how they do

remmy1187

Quote from: fountain2 on March 12, 2015, 08:07:27 AM
anything is going to shoot good at 20.  back on up to 40 and see how they do
I agree, were they just not hitting where you aimed?  Try them at 30 and 40

Hootie26

I was still shooting just a smidgen left... but the hwts didn't group at all. I'll get some pics when I get off from work. I just can't imagine a group getting tighter as u increase distance

fountain2

It sure won't get tighter... but you need to see how the pattern spreads out to see if it held together for clean kills.  40 is typically the guideline...max yardage..most shoot.  You need a good pattern there so that it gives room for error on misjudged yardage.  Shoot at whatever you feel is your max...be it 20, 30 or 40.  I'd not go much further than that.  I like to see my pattern at 40 to know I can give myself a 10 yard buffer on yardage... given the pattern is sufficient at 40

Hootie26

Yea I mainly just had the bug to shoot. And was trying to get the scope dialed in. Plus it was 64° here and no wind. I for sure want to shoot it at some distance. I'm a lot like u guys I'd rather them be close but if I miss judge one or it hangs up I like knowing how my equipment preforms. I constantly shoot my bow at 60 and 70 yards makes short shots seem like chip shots. Weather is gonna turn wet again this weekend so it maybe a lil while before I can get back after it.

Hootie26

I really love this site, everyone is so helpful and don't cut down others equipment just bc it's not the same as theirs. I go to archery Web sites and if u don't shoot the same as them the what u have is junk. I like this bc im new to having my own gun and love how everyone is more willing to help fix what I have then tell me to get something else. Which I am open to trying new stuff part of the fun of it. Thank u all for the help and keep the advice coming

Phire Phite

Agreed, I've only come across 2 sites like this.  This one, and my airgun forum.  Loads of info and help here!

fountain2

Hope you shoot a hoyt...lol...messing with ya