OldGobbler

OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

UPDATE: With new patterns 3/18 new pics at bottom - Help with patterning New A5 please - new to thi

Started by ALScott, March 11, 2015, 08:09:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ALScott

I took advice on here and went and shot some 30x30 targets. I aimed exactly the same on all, top edge of bead at bottom of 3" target dot.  It's a 3 inch New A5 - NOT Auto 5 -  Two shots are with factory DS choke, 1 at 15 yards and one at 40 yards with LB #6's.  All others are with Trulock .670 I ordered.  What do I do next?  By the way the mid bead on the new A5 is stupid.  Completely blocks front bead. No way to get it off other than breaking/cutting it off that I can see.

15 yards with DS and 8 shot

15 yards with Trulock .670 and 8 shot

40 yards with DS and LB #6

40 yards with Trulock and LB #6

40 yards with Trulock and Hevi Shot Magnum Blend

40 yards with Trulock and Nitro 4x5x7

Izzyjoe

Personally I think the DS choke and the #6's look the best, but a little low! Looks like the nitro's 457 look good also, but also very low. Get the elevation worked out, and that combo will bust some heads!

Ihuntoldschool

Pretty good patterns, just need to bring it up some and you will be good.

Skeeterbait

Need to raise the pattern.  Not using a rear sight and don't want to put an optic sight on it I assume?  You need to raise your head in relation to the sight plane and that will bring the pattern up.  You could shim the stock to reduce the drop at comb or you could add a comb riser.  Comb riser pad would be the easiest to raise your cheek up off the comb.  This will have the added benefit of making that mid bead not seem so high also.

turkey buster

Maybe a set of removable vent rib sights like the Tru Glo Magnum Gobble Dot sight. Zero them for turkey season and then remove them after season of you plan on using the gun for other things.

ALScott

Quote from: Skeeterbait on March 12, 2015, 08:41:15 AM
Need to raise the pattern.  Not using a rear sight and don't want to put an optic sight on it I assume?  You need to raise your head in relation to the sight plane and that will bring the pattern up.  You could shim the stock to reduce the drop at comb or you could add a comb riser.  Comb riser pad would be the easiest to raise your cheek up off the comb.  This will have the added benefit of making that mid bead not seem so high also.

Really don't want to fool with a sight.  It came with shims but if I just reduce the drop won't it still shoot low if I aim the same, i.e. along the rib with none showing and bead in same spot?   Aiming with it is different than dove/skeet shooting.  I have to use Kentucky windage at this point right?

Skeeterbait

Correct that at this point you would have to aim high. This is the worst scenario for using Kentucky windage because by aiming high your barrel will be blocking your view of the bird and it could move on you.

The idea is to change the angle you look down the barrel to one that is higher at your head.  The shim will lift the comb and your cheek causing you to look a bit more down on the front sight.  This will naturally cause you to slightly lift the front sight.  Or you can add a pad on top of the stock for your cheek to rest on called a comb riser pad.  There are many different types including slip on's with different thickness pads to adjust your eye level.  You can even rig up a temporary by cutting a pad out of stiff foam rubber, cardboard, or such and taping it to the top of the comb to test out what I am telling you.  Try 1/4", 1/2" 3/4" thicknesses till your pattern centers on the point of aim.  Line up your two beads and that will keep you on left to right.

"along the rib with none showing"  This isn't necessary with two beads.  You likely will see a bit of the top of the rib.

ALScott

Thanks!!!  I just looked in the manual and there is a shim that will 1 raise the comb approximately 1/16", and the heel approximately 1/8".  I will throw it on and see what happens.

gsp

factory choke looks close to  dead on. Maybe try another choke?

middle bead should be threaded to the rib. Brownels used to sell a tool to install and remove them.

Quackwacker NC

Have you tried stacking the beads in a 8 pattern to see if that helps, middle bead below the top bead?

ALScott

Quote from: Quackwacker NC on March 13, 2015, 12:54:16 PM
Have you tried stacking the beads in a 8 pattern to see if that helps, middle bead below the top bead?

That's what I am trying next.  I was going to use one of the shims that came with it to raise the comb but last night I was putting it to my shoulder over and over and each time it naturally came to bead stacked on top of mid-bead.  I hope to get back to the range this weekend and give it another try.

ALScott

Below are patterns from today.  I just stacked the beads and that fixed shooting low, mid bead on bottom, Muzzle bead in middle and target dot on top. Opinions on patterns would be most appreciated.  All of these are with the Trulock .670 choke at 40 yards.

LB 6's

Hevi Mag Blend shot 1

Hevi Mag Blend shot 2

Nitro shot 1

Nitro shot 2

SumToy

Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

taylorjones20

Alive only by the Grace Of God