News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Decoy?

Started by STP22, March 11, 2015, 07:13:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

STP22

Hello, all!

Trying to see how people choose and use decoy(s) on YouTube.

What is your preference during the spring season? Jake? Hen? Strutter? Those Avian-X decoys sure look nice.

Thank you!

Steve

ThunderChickenGetter

I just got the Avian-X jake and breeder hen combo and they really do look great! Hoping to kill a bird or two with them this season.

STP22

If you could only afford one this season...what would you get?

ThunderChickenGetter

I've heard of people having good success with a lone hen as well as just the jake. I would probably go with the hen if I was just going to buy one.

ThunderChickenGetter

But I'm sure there are people that will tell you the jake would be a better choice, maybe someone else can chime in and give their opinion on this too.

Marc

I have had them hang up on the single hen more than I have had them come into it. 

I say go big, or go home...  For me it is a jake/hen combo or nothing....  And for the most part, I have had better luck with nothing.

If I were only going to buy one, it would be the hen though.

And, I know this sounds absurd, but what I might actually consider would be to buy a good hen decoy and the Funky Chicken...  That thing looks ridiculous, but I have yet to hear a bad report on on, and everyone that I know who has used one, says it works quite well.  I have a buddy who is going to put it up with his DSD jake and see which decoy the birds go to this season... 

As far as realistic hen decoys, I would look at DSD first, and then I might consider Deception Decoys, Avain X, or Dakota...  The DSD's will take a pretty good shot from a shotgun, the Avian's will not (as they are inflatable), and I really cannot say on the Dakota's or Deception...
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

ThunderChickenGetter

Quote from: Marc on March 11, 2015, 11:02:45 PM
I have had them hang up on the single hen more than I have had them come into it. 

I say go big, or go home...  For me it is a jake/hen combo or nothing....  And for the most part, I have had better luck with nothing.

If I were only going to buy one, it would be the hen though.

And, I know this sounds absurd, but what I might actually consider would be to buy a good hen decoy and the Funky Chicken...  That thing looks ridiculous, but I have yet to hear a bad report on on, and everyone that I know who has used one, says it works quite well.  I have a buddy who is going to put it up with his DSD jake and see which decoy the birds go to this season... 

As far as realistic hen decoys, I would look at DSD first, and then I might consider Deception Decoys, Avain X, or Dakota...  The DSD's will take a pretty good shot from a shotgun, the Avian's will not (as they are inflatable), and I really cannot say on the Dakota's ro Deception...
How have you done with the jake/hen combo? This will me my first season here in Tennessee with the pair.

STP22

Thank you, all.
I appreciate the advice.  :icon_thumright:
Steve

Marc

Quote from: ThunderChickenGetter on March 11, 2015, 11:11:53 PM
How have you done with the jake/hen combo? This will me my first season here in Tennessee with the pair.

I have seen them come in well to that combination, and generally they approach the jake first.

Last year, as opposed to hunting over my buddies decoys, I decided to buy a jake decoy to go with my hen...  I got one cheap, and you could tell (it had scary eyes, and too much blue in the head, making it look very aggressive).  I had a bird come into the pair, and literally tuck tail and run when he saw the jake...  I was told that there was too much blue in the head, and that the bird looked too aggressive.

This year, I purchased an Avain X jake, and it looks considerably more realistic and less intimidating than my previous decoy.  I am old enough to know better...  Buy once, and buy right, rather than trying to save money on cheap equipment that needs to be replaced.
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

Mike Honcho

I only hunt with decoys when hunting big open fields...for me one jake does the best.

I've had more gobblers hang up when it's a single hen...I think they are suspicious as to why the hen won't come to them...I'm probably giving them too much credit for reasoning power.

Spitten and drummen

I never use them anymore. haven't really killed any birds with them than I would have without them. they seem to be more of a  headache to tote with everything else. I actually used those cheap featherflex and the more expensive ones. had same reactions from birds with both. the key is what your confident in.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

eddie234

It depends on where I strike up a bird. I carry two of the Cherokee sports inflatables, a hen and Jake. If I strike up a bird in a more open area ill set them up, if I'm in the thick hardwoods then probably not. I'm just trying to get that bird within 40 yards, I don't need him to come in a inspect my decoys to see if they are flocked or not.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2