Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Untimely disaster puts me in a real bind!!

Started by RutnNStrutn, March 11, 2015, 01:49:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RutnNStrutn

I went to the range today to see if the new Longbeard ammo patterns any better than what I've been shooting. With three shots left to go in the testing, disaster struck!! :o :z-dizzy:
I have an old 2x pistol scope mounted to the vent rib of my shotgun, and have been using it for nearly 20 years without any problems. That all ended today when with 3 shots left to go in my patterning session, one of the lenses inside the old scope gave up the ghost. Now I can no longer see through the scope. :(  I had to bust out my toolbox and take the scope and mount off so I could finish patterning, using the factory bead sight. ::)
So, now I am in a dilemma, since my season starts on Sunday in S. Carolina. If I order a new pistol scope, it won't here before I have to leave for SC. If I get a regular turkey scope, I'll have to mount it to the receiver, buy a receiver mount as well, and then risk getting scope eye. Fiber optic sights are out because I am used to using a scope, and my old eyes ain't what they used to be. Red dot scopes are out because I have a red-green color deficiency.
So I guess I'll get on line and start researching my options. Either way, unless I can go down to Bass Pro and find something today, I'll be gunning with Plan B for the opener. Plan B is hunting with Dad's old A5 with a fiber optic sight on it. I was planning on hunting some with that gun anyway, because I want to kill a gobbler with Dad's gun. But his doesn't have the pattern or range that my 870 Super Mag does.
Looking on the bright side, it could have happened on my last shot, or when I shot a turkey. And then when I called in my next turkey, I wouldn't have been able to find him in the scope. So I guess I should at least be thankful for that. Either way though, this is inconvenient and sucks!! >:(

jakesdad

Go with the A5 and the fiber optic. Fix #1 when ya got time to do it right. Hunting with a backup is better than not having anything. You'll probably end up lovin that old A5 and realize how much you enjoy huntin with dads old gun. I know I was that way the first time I used my gpas old 11-48.Just something about hunting with a little family history! :icon_thumright:

"There are turkey hunters and people who hunt turkeys.I hope I am remembered as a turkey hunter"

Tail Feathers

I know you'll find a way to slay some turkeys.
I can bring an extra for you to use on the FL opener if you can't get it fixed before then.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

Gobspur

Backup if you have no time left and don't want the stress.

If you can drop the money, overnight or two-day from Cabelas, here's an option in the 2x with at least 9 inch eye relief:   http://www.cabelas.com/product/Nikon-Force-XR-Handgun-Scope/1318393.uts     or they may have in stock at your basspro.

Here's another one if you could live with minimum 3X  - Nikon slughunter scope - 5 inches eye relief. Don't know if I'd want 3x though....    http://www.basspro.com/Nikon-Slughunter-Scope/product/1303251514/?cmCat=CROSSSELL_THUMBNAIL

guesswho

Quote from: RutnNStrutn on March 11, 2015, 01:49:58 PM
Looking on the bright side, it could have happened on my last shot, or when I shot a turkey. And then when I called in my next turkey, I wouldn't have been able to find him in the scope.
That could have taken another 20 years. ;D

Hopefully you will find something at Bass Pro.  Good luck.

If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

goblr77

Use that for a good reason to buy another gun.

Spitten and drummen

hunt with backup and take the time to set your primary up. just my 2 cents
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

Cut N Run

Go get yourself a Leupold scope with a lifetime guarantee.  If it ever becomes a problem, the fix is covered. 

I hate to tell you to go buy a cheap scope because there's no sense in risking wounding a gobbler because of an inferior product. Get the best you can afford and take a little time to make sure you're zeroed, then go bust some gobblers.  Good luck!

Jim
Luck counts, good or bad.

Tail Feathers

Quote from: guesswho on March 11, 2015, 02:56:01 PM
Quote from: RutnNStrutn on March 11, 2015, 01:49:58 PM
Looking on the bright side, it could have happened on my last shot, or when I shot a turkey. And then when I called in my next turkey, I wouldn't have been able to find him in the scope.
That could have taken another 20 years. ;D

ZING! :TooFunny:
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

Deputy 14

That sucks. Hope you figure it out, we need points.  ;D

Rem Man

Hey buddy I got a brAnd new b square with a new Simmons pro diamond that has plenty of eye relief ! That I will gladly send you until the season is over , let me know .

Rem Man

Also I will send ASAP! USPS next day I think is 20.00 if you want I will send it tomorrow, also it should be close it is zeroed with longbeards and I had it on the Sam gun you have !

ridgerunner

Ditch the scope for good..IMO. That's why I don't use one for turkey..something else to fail...scope cost me a few birds over the years. Had trouble switching over to shoot left handed and lining red dot up properly, which I've had to do a few times to kill birds..I found the scope isn't sighted for me shooting left handed vs. right handed, refuse to use one now.

Old Gobbler

Tim , I also have a backup scope available to use , it's a Bushnell plex scope with a variable up to 1-4 power scope , it's camo and tested and accurate , it took it off my gun because I got a Burris illuminated one , and I was keeping it as a spare , or to put on one of my Remington's - it has the rings on it - I can loan to you until your scope is fixed or replaced

I think it has a 4 inch eye relief , and it holds a zero

If you pm me your address I can ups it to you , ups is next day on ground service in Florida
:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

RutnNStrutn

Thanks so much for the generous offers Rem Man and Old Gobbler!! :thanks: But I went ahead and ordered something to replace it that afternoon. In the meantime until it comes in, I'll just hunt with Pop's A5 and see if it can bring me luck.
But that was exceedingly generous and thoughtful of both of you!! You run a great website with good people Shannon!! :icon_thumright: