turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Mississippi Public Hunting Land - Turkeys

Started by masonmross, March 09, 2015, 08:17:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

masonmross

Hey guys, I'm looking for any information regarding Mississippi Public Hunting land specifically around the Starkville area. I have deer hunted Choctaw, Tombigbee, and Sam D. Hamilton Noxubee Wildlife Refuge, but never turkey hunted them. Any recommendations or info for them would be great! Thanks and good luck hunting this upcoming turkey season!

deadbuck

I hunted Choctaw and Noxubee 20 years ago. Was fun then, now it is more like work from what I hear.

BBR12

We hunted Noxubee one year on opening day when I was in college probably 98 season. Big group of us went together cause we knew it was gonna be crowded, I think there were 5 of us that were gonna "hunt" together. We went to a place where we had heard a bird gobble before season got out of the truck to listen in the dark. This is where it got interesting as day begins to break a bird gobbles about 150 yds out in the woods from us, we immediatly turn to start getting our stuff out of the truck. At the same time two or three other trucks in the vecinity crank up and come hauling it up to where we are. One truck literally slides up behind us approx. 40 yds and guy jumps out and runs into the woods while we are just standing there dumbfounded. One of the other truck stopped about 100 yds in front of us and guy jumps out and heads into the woods. Needless to say we didn't hunt that bird that morning, mostly just rode around and counted trucks I want to say we quite counting at 50.
That being said my key to success when I was up there was to find smaller blocks of land that alot of folks overlooked. It was tough cause alot of times bird would be on private land, but if you've hunted the area you should know everyone knows about certain areas and that is where most folks go. If you find some of the overlooked areas you can maybe get away from the crowds.

Spitten and drummen

Man , I'm gonna be honest. It's insane on the public land here in sw miss. It gets flooded by people from Louisiana and Arkansas. Mainly because season opens so early. It's like convoys up and down the roads. A bird gobbles and the people swarm to him. Is what it is
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

SKFOOTER

:welcomeOG:
Quote from: masonmross on March 09, 2015, 08:17:58 PM
Hey guys, I'm looking for any information regarding Mississippi Public Hunting land specifically around the Starkville area. I have deer hunted Choctaw, Tombigbee, and Sam D. Hamilton Noxubee Wildlife Refuge, but never turkey hunted them. Any recommendations or info for them would be great! Thanks and good luck hunting this upcoming turkey season!
I can't believe you guys haven't welcomed Mason to the fold!!  :welcomeOG:

tha bugman

Gallopavo Accipiter

I'm a total turkey hunting fanatic here in MS but I won't hunt on public land in this state.  Too dangerous and too aggravating.  Since Arkansas' turkey population has plummeted, it's even worse.  Beautiful lands though and you can have fun on them with a video camera before and after the season.  I'm always amazed that all the turkeys aren't shot out on these places but they hang in there.

RemingtonRules

I have a ton of information from my years hunting around there.  Let me get my hunting log and I can point you in the right direction.  I keep detailed records of what I hear and shoot with my GPS and field notes.  Hang tight it will take me some time to compile it.  If there are specific WMAs or NFs you want, let me know.

Welcome to OG.

Bama turkey hunter

Tony

msgobblergetter

Quote from: Spitten and drummen on March 09, 2015, 10:39:27 PM
Man , I'm gonna be honest. It's insane on the public land here in sw miss. It gets flooded by people from Louisiana and Arkansas. Mainly because season opens so early. It's like convoys up and down the roads. A bird gobbles and the people swarm to him. Is what it is

Agreed... This is why a lot of Ms WMA's have gone to draw only the first two weeks of season down here. I've heard that the draw process is catered for the MS resident and non-residents will likely not get drawn over residents.  Makes since to me, since I'm a MS tax payer.

masonmross

I appreciate all the replies! Agreed on the public land hunting, it is a totally different world. However it does make for an exciting and challenging hunt. Thanks again, any info is greatly appreciated.

Spitten and drummen

Very few exciting hunts on public land here. The excitement is outrunning someone else to the bird. Then you can sit and listen to the gravel interstate , the 25 owls hooting , and the 50 crows cawing. I'm not kidding either. You would think the middle of the week would be better. It is but not much. You just have to deal with it if you wanna hunt.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

Hooksnhorns

Quote from: msgobblergetter on March 11, 2015, 08:05:58 PM

Agreed... This is why a lot of Ms WMA's have gone to draw only the first two weeks of season down here. I've heard that the draw process is catered for the MS resident and non-residents will likely not get drawn over residents.  Makes since to me, since I'm a MS tax payer.

Someone told you wrong brother. I used to hunt on a wma close to here on the draw hunts. It was nice for the first couple of yrs. The last yr I put in for it, there were WAY more OOS tags than locals parked in the wma and runnin the wma roads listenin for turkeys during the draw hunt. I haven't put in for it since. Now, I believe , its all about the extra $ from OOS hunters. Don't get me wrong, I don't have anything against OOS hunters, but I believe the first couple of weeks (draw hunts) should be residents only, since our taxes and licenses pay for them and the salaries of the people who oversee and take care of them. Just my opinion...
Don't Tread On Me

msgobblergetter

Quote from: Hooksnhorns on March 11, 2015, 09:03:51 PM
Quote from: msgobblergetter on March 11, 2015, 08:05:58 PM

Someone told you wrong brother. I used to hunt on a wma close to here on the draw hunts. It was nice for the first couple of yrs. The last yr I put in for it, there were WAY more OOS tags than locals parked in the wma and runnin the wma roads listenin for turkeys during the draw hunt. I haven't put in for it since. Now, I believe , its all about the extra $ from OOS hunters. Don't get me wrong, I don't have anything against OOS hunters, but I believe the first couple of weeks (draw hunts) should be residents only, since our taxes and licenses pay for them and the salaries of the people who oversee and take care of them. Just my opinion...

Exactly way I feel about it now... I was drawn about 4 seasons ago, and all was quiet during my hunts, but i havent put in for a draw the past three seasons because i have plenty of private land to hunt... I suppose its changed in the past few years as you say.  I agree, it should be resident draw the first two weeks.  Nothing personal to non-residents, but we pretty much need some border patrol around hear during turkey season.

Gobbler2577

Well I've watched this for a few days to see what would be said.  I hunt both the areas in question almost exclusively and have for years.  The problem with Choctaw is non residents the first few weeks.  After that it's really not bad.  On noxubee refuge the problem is college students.  That being said, I love hunting both these places and am willing to deal with the people.  If you'll be patient and be willing to hunt later in the mornings and stick with it thru the end of the season you'll not only learn a great deal but you will find a new appreciation for turkey hunting.  I will say this, you're about to be introduced to some of the toughest birds there are.  Good luck.