OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Hevi-13 #6 vs Winchester XR #6?

Started by cornfedkiller, March 08, 2015, 09:31:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cornfedkiller

Looking to buy a box of shells for my shotgun, which is basically my back-up weapon since I pretty much strictly bow hunt. 

Been doing some research, and I've pretty much narrowed it down to two different loads.

My gun is a 26" Browning Maxus with a TruGlo SSX choke.  I've heard guys say they are getting great patterns with the Hevi-13 3" #6 or #7 with 2oz of shot. My only issue with these shells is that they are pretty expensive (I don't think I have to tell you guys that)!

The other one that I have heard guys having decent patterns with are the Winchester XR 3" #6 with 1 3/4oz of shot.  They are less than half the price per shell as the Hevi-13, so they are a little more attractive to me in that aspect, I'm just not sure if they will pattern decent compared to the Hevi-13s.

Anyone have any advice or suggestions for me?

drum817

Buy the longbeards.... Twice the ammo for less money.... IMO it's a nobrainer loll!!!  You'll more than likely get a great pattern!!!!
"Freedom Has Never Been Free"

Gobble!

Quote from: cornfedkiller on March 08, 2015, 09:31:57 PM
Looking to buy a box of shells for my shotgun, which is basically my back-up weapon since I pretty much strictly bow hunt. 

Been doing some research, and I've pretty much narrowed it down to two different loads.

My gun is a 26" Browning Maxus with a TruGlo SSX choke.  I've heard guys say they are getting great patterns with the Hevi-13 3" #6 or #7 with 2oz of shot. My only issue with these shells is that they are pretty expensive (I don't think I have to tell you guys that)!

The other one that I have heard guys having decent patterns with are the Winchester XR 3" #6 with 1 3/4oz of shot.  They are less than half the price per shell as the Hevi-13, so they are a little more attractive to me in that aspect, I'm just not sure if they will pattern decent compared to the Hevi-13s.

If that's the case buy the Winchester Shells. They throw great patterns.

kyhareraiser

i am doing a Hevi-shot comparison today, I have the older version ( green hull) still left and I have a box oh the new golden hull Hevi-shot. I here since they switched hands the shells have went down hill so in order to trust them I'll put one against the other and the winner of that goes up against first the Winchester LR 12 ga 3" with #6  and then why no try the bed Federal 3rd Degree against the winner of that one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

K9Doc

I would be very interested in your results
Be the type of person your dog thinks you are.

allaboutshooting

Quote from: cornfedkiller on March 08, 2015, 09:31:57 PM

I have completed that evaluation with 32 different chokes through 6 different shotguns with both the WLB and H-13 shells. I should have the results ready to publish in the next 7-10 days.

It's quite an interesting study.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

Izzyjoe

I have turned two people on to the longbeards, and they can't believe the pattern they are throwing! They are simply awsome, Federal, and Remington need to step up there game! And I really wish they would get off there butts, and make us a 20ga long beard load that shoots the lights out! 

indianstick

cornfedkiller

Quote from: allaboutshooting on March 09, 2015, 06:42:44 PM
I have completed that evaluation with 32 different chokes through 6 different shotguns with both the WLB and H-13 shells. I should have the results ready to publish in the next 7-10 days.

It's quite an interesting study.

Thanks,
Clark

Looking forward to seeing the results!

Phire Phite

I'd be inclined to say the LB's.  Especially if it's just back up and you don't plan on going and testing many loads.